1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accelerated reader

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Marm0010, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Marm0010

Marm0010 New commenter

Hi all,

I have just started an SLT position at a Junior school and they have and use Accelerated reader. My plan is to invest in a reading scheme that the children would work through and then use AR as a read for pleasure tool - this way ensuring that the children are reading a book that is appropriate for their reading level.

Anyone with experience of AR - would this work? Any experience of AR would be great.

Thank you.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

That seems very quick to change established practise at a school you have just joined!

Which reading scheme are you planning to bring in? Why? Would it be for all children?

I've used AR (and lots of other reading programmes). The most effective combination I found is everyone does AR as part of Literacy/dedicated Library lessons, while targetted groups of students take part in small-group, often TA-led reading programmes (e.g. Lexia, Read Write Inc, Inference).

3. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

You can use a reading scheme as part of AR as these books will be banded accordingly. You may well choose to have your lower/1:1 readers working through a phonetically decodable series of books where this is guided by the teacher, whilst also allowing them an additional free choice from the AR banded books. It would be better to identify if you have a shortage of any particular level of books and expand the range in this area, rather than buying in a whole separate scheme. You need to make sure you have plenty to address the needs/interest of those who are not yet confident decoders so consider Project X or similar. In a junior school I would expect that the majority of children would be at the top of a scheme in Year 3, so you will not need masses of the lower end. If you haven’t used AR before you will not yet appreciate the depth and breadth of the analysis available. Don’t rush to do anything until you understand how it works.

4. Knightsy06

Knightsy06 New commenter

We use AR from Yr 3 - 8 and then Nursery to Yr 2 are on RWI which works relatively well. AR we've found motivates and allows us to track their progress. Plenty of books on the system as well plus you can write or request book quizzes. I guess the best advice is as above, wait to see how it work and review the planning in place before making too many changes.