1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accelerated Reader or Lexia?

Discussion in 'English' started by Mrs Blag, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hi

About a year ago I looked at the advantages/disadvantages of Accelerated Reader as an intervention/assessment programme for struggling readers. I have heard that success rates are high, but the school was not in a position to trial it. I have started looking into it again, but a reading programme called Lexia has now been recommended to me. I can't really glean much from either website - and I can't find a UK website either. Is this end of term dimness? Has anyone had success with either?

Thanks

2. It depends on what you mean by 'struggling readers'. Are you talking about pupils who are unable to read the words on page, or pupils who are reluctant to read (though reluctance is very often a result of inability).
    In the case of reluctant readers Accelerated Reader looks to be a good motivational programme - it is very well thought of in our LA.
    In the case of children unable to read Lexia is better than nothing, but a good course of structured phonics taught by a real person beats a computer based programme any time.
    Lexia don't give much info on-line, but their rep will do a hard selling job[​IMG]

3. maizie is quite right - AR is simply a computer-based reading scheme. There is a basic comprehension test which generates a reading range. The student then picks a book from the range, reads it and does an extremely simple test on the computer afterwards. Then there are rewards and other incentives to encourage students to keep reading.

I've seen this at work in several schools, and so far the only real gain that I would be prepared to speak to would be motivational - some schools have seen their library uptake increase dramatically.

I quite rate Lexia as a good example of a word-level computer program, but again I've not seen any data that proves the impact it has. Students quite enjoy using it for short parts of lessons.

Ultimately, follow maize's advice - some intensive support from a suitably qualified person will definitely be better than a computer program.

4. Have a look at Endowment Education Trust results on interventions - Lexia listed as most effective.... having said that, out of 57 students who have made HUGE gains in the main this year with it (some 35 months increase in around 6 months of using it), I have 2 students who have made no progress at all, so they need something different... just trawling for that something!!

5. We've used Lexia for three years now in my school with some very positive results. We have a HLTA who runs the programme, including analysing the data etc. Can recommend it if run correctly.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

The kids in our school who have used Lexia have found it quite dull and tedious. Also, the programme did not work for weeks on end recently. However, it may be that that was not their fault and something to do with our school network.

7. We have used Lexia at our school for the past 3 years. We have seen an increase in reading ages for the majority of students who use Lexia compared to those who don't, However, some students have not made progress but we have attributed it to students who don't focus fully / lack concentration. This is because Lexia can become quite monotonous and repetitive for students, something SEN students struggle with.