1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accelerated Reader - Any good?

Discussion in 'English' started by bgr1978, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bgr1978

bgr1978 New commenter

2. I haven't used it personally but it does look very impressive; I'd give it a go. It looks like a really comprehensive package. Looks like it might take a while to bed in but once done, I suspect it would offer good results.

3. bgr1978

bgr1978 New commenter

Thanks for the responses folks.

4. Eek, we've just got rid of it after a lengthy battle!

It is naff! Principles of it are great but it is VERY time consuming, and for the money, totally not worth it. We are now using our £2500 to get workshops in, buy ICT resources etc all of which will have a far greater impact than ren. reading ever did.

Lazy teachers in our dept. rely on it to level students as it does produce (an inaccurate) reading level.One of the many problems!

DON'T DO IT!

5. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I totally disagree. We use it and it has been successful in improving reading levels for lower ability students. Yes, there may be lazy teachers who rely solely on this, but we use it alongside other ideas to spur students on. Pupils are motivated to reach targets and the fact they can access from home means we get parental support. It's like most things you only get out what you put in, you have to be positive about it, work at it, don't just rely on this one thing to improve reading and it will work.