1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accelerated Incremental Progression - Language Assistants

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by hazelksmith2, Aug 10, 2011.

1. hazelksmith2

hazelksmith2 New commenter

I am a Modern Languages teacher and want to find out if completing the British Council Language Assistant programme counts as enough relevant teaching experience to advance one point on the salary scale? Any comments/feedback regarding this would be much appreciated.

2. hazelksmith2

hazelksmith2 New commenter

I am a Modern Languages teacher and want to find out if completing the British Council Language Assistant programme counts as enough relevant teaching experience to advance one point on the salary scale? Any comments/feedback regarding this would be much appreciated.

3. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

It really depends on the local authority on what they deem as acceptable and it is a very subjective process.

I know of 2 people who went into teaching after career in industry with the same amount and type of experience. One LA gave 4 increments and the other gave 2.

4. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Depends on what you mean by completing the programme. I worked for 2 years as an English Language assistant and was awarded either 1 or 2 increments, 2 I think, but that was back in 2006 before they were desperately trying to save money. One authority gave me the increments but a second one didn't, however I enquired and the second rang the first and awarded them as well.
    In your case I would say there's no harm in asking.