1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy trust boss: ‘Schools should be able to leave MATs after five years’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘For the embryonic multi-academy trust system to mature successfully, schools should be given a window of opportunity to leave their trust after five years, one chief executive has said.

Alison Critchley, chief executive of RSA Academies, called for the introduction of five-year fixed contracts between schools and multi-academy trusts in an article in Friday's Tes magazine.

Critchley proposes that at the end of the initial five-year contract, both the school and the MAT would decide whether or not they wished to enter into a new agreement for a further five years.’

Do you agree with Alison Critchley, would five-year fixed term contracts really help struggling schools gain the support and intervention required from successful and well-matched MATs? Would you be in favour of this flexible, school-led model?

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It’s not going to be a school led model though is it.
    This just means the MAT can dump any school it deems not to be profitable enough ( however it likes to measure profitability)
    and who picks up the bill and has to start from scratch with a school that may have been asset stripped, undergone major structural changes, etc. Etc.
    I suspect some MATS have discovered that running schools and delivering education isn’t quite as straight forward asirtseems.is just discovering.

The balance of power is rather one sided

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you @lizziescat for your frank views. What would you like to see happen to readdress the balance, if this is even possible with a MAT model?

Does anyone else have views about what has been suggested and ideally what they would like to see happen to a struggling school?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

In principle it seems like a good idea, however I'm not sure it how it would work from a school point of view. Who would decide? The head, who is likely to have been placed in the school by the academy?

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I wonder if this is a wonderful 'new initiative' purely designed to head off the government putting genuine restrictions on academies. After all, it's a chance for academies to show how co-operative they are without actually having to lose anything at all.

Scintillant likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Allowing schools to choose to leave is fine but what we all know will happen is MATs will just cast adrift schools they either can't improve or have stripped of assets or that are too expensive to run. perhaps we need legislation which allows schools to be able to refuse being taken over by a MAT.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

MAT bosses appear to be running a little scared in the face of all the dodgy dealings being uncovered.

Even David "See nothing, hear nothing, say nothing about MAT problems" Carter came out with something similar recently. Admittedly it was a Digby Jones-esque plea not to talk MATs down...

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Leave a MAT and go where? Another MAT presumably. I don't think it would be possible to return to the local authority.

JohnJCazorla and SomethingWicked like this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I agree, so it is just window dressing.

I suppose it would be possible to return to the LA, if the political will was there to make it possible. Except that will never happen.

nomad likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, it's possible. A precedent has already been set...