1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy status - advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by voodoo child, Feb 10, 2011.

1. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

We may become an academy. Any advice you can give? Should I, nearing retirement, go early? Will I not notice anything or will it be a huge upset?

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

No way any constructive advice can be given. Will depend on the SMT, the Head, the reasons for turning to an Academy etc...
    No helpful advice, just depends on the situation.

3. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

For the first 3 years your TUPE will be protected. After that, it really depends on what your 'Principal' & Governors are like.
    If they want world dominance then start to worry.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I suspect that changes to the pension scheme from the government pose more of a threat to your pension than shortish term changes due to Academy status.
    Pension entitlements should remain whether you're in an academy or LEA school. Longer than that, I suspect that funding streams may shrivel so that few schools will be able to afford to pay pay rises to many once the pay freeze ends.
    P

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Don't!

Whenever I see the word academy [for a UK school] in a job advert I pass straight on to the next one.

What's really amusing is that in the USA it's quite the opposite. Academies are usually outstanding independent schools that most teachers can only dream of teaching in.

6. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

At a meeting this week with our unions, concerning the inevitable move to academy status, we were told that our TUPE is frozen at the point of transfer. From then on the school can make adjustments to pay and conditions as can any other employer, for ' economical or organisational reasons.' (For any reason, in other words!) We're stuffed. Education will all be privatised within a year.

7. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Our NUT rep said that Gove will put an academy order on all state primaries within the very foreseeable future. I know this is a Seconday thread, but I'm having kittens as the end of the county primary is nigh and noone on here seems aware of it!!!!

8. All schools will become academies, that way the government can drive down the biggest cost, salaries.

9. I don't understand why you would pass straight on by, have you worked for an academy or are you basing your decision on hearsay from the media, or is yours a political position?
    Having worked for Ark Academies it was a revelation, and very different on the inside. The permission to innovate and find solutions beyond the usual was liberating. Working alongside very capable colleagues, weaker staff didn't last very long, meant that I could focus on the core business of educating children not supporting staff to do their job.
    Before joining the Ark chain I was aware of the anti academy rumours, then took the view that I didn't really know what academies were about, stepped over the precipice and found a wonderful land where you can see evolving a very different approach, and proving to be very successful.

10. David Getling

OK, Snowdrop, I may have the wrong impression, in which case I'm very happy to be put straight on this.

My understanding is that academies are often attempts to turn failing or unpleasant schools around. My other understanding is that they are often created so that a school may take control of its budget, but often in ways that many teachers would not welcome.

I'm very willing to be disabused of these notions if the are GENERALLY wrong.

I'm also very interested in your comment about weaker staff. Do you mean weaker academically, or that they aren't strict disciplinarians? Does the fact that they didn't last long mean that they jumped or were pushed?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not if you're near retirement.

12. DM

DM New commenter

This was previously the case DG but it is not now. The vast majority of schools that are converting to academies at present are schools graded Outstanding or Good with Outstanding features by Ofsted.

13. I agree; I love my job; it is challenging, worthwhile and we do the bets for all of our children..all the resons I decided to teach in the first place...the word liberating just sums it up..I

14. David Getling

Many thanks that very useful information. I guess, when one is living overseas, it's sometimes easy to lose the plot.

15. DM

DM New commenter

16. David Getling

DM, thanks for the spreadsheet. Even without the Ofsted grading I recognized some excellent schools. I'll obviously have to look more closely when I browse the job adverts. However, from talking to my family in the UK, I get the impression the the general public, like I was until a few hours ago, is still ignorant of this change of affairs.

17. If they make the changes they are proposing, I'm opting out of the pensions system. Whacking up the contribution and removing the final salary link will make it as bad as a private sector scheme. Stuff that for a game of soldiers. I suspect a lot of teachers will do the same, thus bankrupting the scheme, leaving the government facing a larger bill than if they had left it alone. Government by Buffoons. Who says Public Schools better educate their charges? If Gove is a prime example, a lot of parents are wasting their money.
    If our school goes Academy, I can see me leaving as soon as the Head flexes those new muscles and makes my life yet more pointless with yet more initiatives to pamper the idiot youths who should be better catered for in a 10 x 6 cell. I know I have only 8 years to go to 60, but I couldn't face that, especially if they bump up the leaving age too. I look with envy at my best mate at school who is counting the days to July. Lucky him. I WILL give notice when it is the most inconvenient though. Probably take a lot of time off sick too. I can feel the stress coming on already. We had over a quarter of the teachers out one day last week. Even the SLT had to do cover. Shame.
    I can also see an awful lot of teachers leaving the profession when they find they are required to work ludicrous hours, do twice as many reports, forgo all their free and PPA periods, work Saturdays, lose all but 2 weeks of their Summer holidays. Won't happen? It will. Teachers will be below minimum wage when you factor in the out of hours work they do. What's the point of that? I could do delivery driving for Tescos for better than that and at least get a discount off my shopping and deal with a much nicer bunch of people than the (albeit small number of) idiots I babysit from day to day.

18. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

Tupe means nothing if they change the curriculum as they can say they need to make redundancies due to curriculum issues then tupe doesnt carry over. The school i was in became an academy in 2009 and it wasnt a good thing 2 years later and its still failing to meet the kids needs and the staff.
    ive never been so glad to move on!

19. DM

DM New commenter

I can't see how your decision to pay more tax would bankrupt a scheme which is paid from central taxation.

20. Because, at the moment, current teachers' contributions are being used to pay the pensions of retired teachers, and it is not being used to save up for OUR pensions. If I, and a lot of teachers, stop paying those contributions, the government has to meet the difference from central funds. Lets' add that up shall we? Worse case. 600,000 UK teachers, about 500,000 in England. Let's say they earn an average of £30k, so they pay 5% of that. That's £1,500 pa. Times 500,000. Equals £750m paid per annum in England. Ish. And then factor in the LEA contribution. Does that double the amount? That's enough money to pay the pension of about 100,000 teachers. I wonder how many are retired currently in England?
    I am not suggesting that little ole me will make any difference, but I won't be the only one to do the sums. For too long governments have failed to put the money they take of us aside to pay our pensions. And now the piper comes to ask for payment. And who do they want to make up for thier mismanagement? Us.
    Personally, I love teaching. I hate all the carp that comes with it. And for £30k pa I can go back to the job I used to do before I started this; driving trucks. I spoke to my old boss the other day and he offered me more than that to do my old job; local pick up and drops for the trunking lorries. I averaged about 60 hours a week, about 20 hours less than I now do. I got holidays when I like. Very little paperwork. I wouldn't do it, but it tells you how low teachers' wages have dropped. Having spoken to any number of teachers whose schools have gone academy, not one had good things to say. More work, less pay and significantly more hassle from the line managers.
    All I'm trying to say is that the sums don't add up. If the government persists with these reforms, they have to realise that intelligent human beings will decide it isn't worth the hassle for the money on offer. Academies will be forced on schools one way of the other. It will take about 3 to 4 years, but there will be a point where schools simply won't be able to find teachers willing to work in this new system. Sad, but that's how it will be.