1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy Status - A good move?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spoggle, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    My primary school is currently thinking about applying to become an academy. i would be interested to here the views of anyone who is currently going through a move to academy status or who has recently become an academy.
    Was it a positive experience?
    What are the pros/cons?
    Have your pay and conditions been protected? If so for how long?

I would really appreciate any views/experiences on this matter.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Hi,
    My primary school is currently thinking about applying to become an academy. i would be interested to here the views of anyone who is currently going through a move to academy status or who has recently become an academy.
    Was it a positive experience?
    What are the pros/cons?
    Have your pay and conditions been protected? If so for how long?

I would really appreciate any views/experiences on this matter.

Many thanks in advance.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

My brother's secondary school has slipped right down the ratings within months.
    One of those botched amalgamation jobs,

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

And I'm fuming on his behalf.

I'd like to chuck bricks.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You won't get an unbiased opinion from me I'm afraid. ( just setting my stall out so you know)
    after 3 years ( or fewer if there's a " restructure") pay and conditions change.
    Visit www. Antiacademiesaliance.uk
    the financial gain is often outweighed by the admin burdens.
    No sen support from
    the la. Govs responsible for everything. No class size limits and no requirements to have teachers with qts.
    Look at what's happened in type 1 academies and in FE over the past few years if you want to see the future.
    Fewer holidays, longer hours, no national pay agreement,gagging clauses, unions frowned upon.
    Think it's great if you're a head who wants a big pay rise though.

6. The word "Academy" sounds great as it is meant to be the very best. Once about all schools become "Academies", the word "Academy" will be begrimed by all and sundry, and they will have to think up some new title for the very best, academy will just mean "school".
    That, and everything above posted by curlygirl.

7. Thank you for the responses.

Has anyone had or know of any positive experiences?

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Nothing positive to add im afraid!