1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy Pros on the back of a fag packet

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, May 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Despite all the bad publicity about forced academisation there are some valid reasons to do it. Governors used to have the option ( we decided not to democratically ) but if the option becomes a forced issue we need to find and utilise as many pros as we can find.
    My fag packet list currently runs as follows:
    Pros:

1. Economies of scale: Buying shared resources, better leverage over purchase prices.

2. Flexible use of staff ( less reliance on agency ) shared use of experts / very senior leaders

3. More potential for promotion for staff within chain / Mat may help retention.

4. More/ better / cheaper internal training.

5. Scope to develop money raising business ideas to reduce dependency on state funding / drive up standards / innovate.

Any more Pros to bring to the party ?

2. neddyfonk

Having the ability to have a world beating school football team chosen from the best of 8000 pupils.

3. neddyfonk

So after 2 months nobody has any thought of any reasons why becoming an academy might be good !! Should I present this as damning evidence to Nicky Morgan or assume that no one cares ?

4. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Have you read any of the posts on other threads about academies? There seems to have been a widespread trousering of cash by individuals while qualified teachers are being paid far less than their qualifications and experience should demand.

5. neddyfonk

Yes - I have another fag packet for cons. Unfortunately our MPs seem to not care much about preventing fraud in MATS or capping salaries / expenses. It looks like a very lucrative gravy train is being created for the old boys / partners network and many will be getting paid for old rope while loyal, hard working staff get sidelined if their face/attitude does not fit.

6. neddyfonk

Having gone into RI and approached by the RSC about our situation we went proactive and explored the 'market'. We found a partner that we initially bought support from with a view to potentially joining their MAT. Six months on we decided we have established a solid, productive relationship and we 'get married' in July providing our consultation with stakeholders raises no objections.
    Anyone want to wish us well after our honeymoon period ?

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

None whatsoever. I suspect no one can be bothered with such a no brainer of an answer

Don't touch it with a barge-pole

The creeping privatisation of UK education

8. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

10 years ago I worked in one of the schools which has been handed back this week by an Academy Trust, under threat of losing it`s funding agreement . What a shambles of a set up we have in this country ! The school has seen a massive turnover of teachers in recent years ,it now has appalling GCSE results ( once a very strong feature of the school, alongside its A level results ! ),rumours abounded and checks were made on fraudulent activity by this Academy Trust and now this poor school, the teachers and pupils will be `rebrokered` to another MAT, behind closed doors !.The school has a deficit of £1.5 million, so what MAT worth it`s salt will take them on ?,4 other schools in this former Academy Trust have similar amounts of debt !!! I don`t think that the privatisation of the UK`s education system is `creeping` ,it has already crept up,taken over and is now biting the hand that feeds it,with our tax payers money !