1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy or not?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cwirtz, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I'm currently looking for a new role. I have applied for a post, and I when I saw the advert I immediately thought it was a good opportunity for me. I felt the role suited me really well and really liked what I read about the school. I then spoke to the head and made an appointment to visit the school, and again really liked what I heard/saw. However, half way round the school the deputy head told me the school is going to become an academy in April and any staff appointed before then would be appointed by the authority and have usual term of employment of a teacher but once the school becomes an academy their terms and conditions would transfer to the sponsor in April. My question really is what are the pros/cons of working for an academy and can my pay/conditions etc. change once the school has academy status? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm currently looking for a new role. I have applied for a post, and I when I saw the advert I immediately thought it was a good opportunity for me. I felt the role suited me really well and really liked what I read about the school. I then spoke to the head and made an appointment to visit the school, and again really liked what I heard/saw. However, half way round the school the deputy head told me the school is going to become an academy in April and any staff appointed before then would be appointed by the authority and have usual term of employment of a teacher but once the school becomes an academy their terms and conditions would transfer to the sponsor in April. My question really is what are the pros/cons of working for an academy and can my pay/conditions etc. change once the school has academy status? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

Hi Cwirtz
    It really depends on who the academy sponsor is. I work in an academy and have done so for the last 4 years. Investment in our school/staff/students has been excellent, and CPD/career opportunities within the sponsor family of schools is great. There has been no pressure for staff to change their contracts from LA to academy, and new staff on academy contracts are on slightly higher pay. However, I do know that there are some academy groups that this is definately not the case.
    I suggest you research the back ground and ethos of the sponsor before you apply. Good luck.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I would agree with the above post - it does depend on the sponsor.
    Also depends, as with any new post, on the HT and SLT; I worked in an old-style academy and the support I received was nil!
    The biggest 'con' I can think of came after I left and found myself pregnant early on in my new post; as I had worked in an academy before my current post, this is seen as working in the independent sector, therefore, there is no continuity of service as there would be had I gone from one comprehensive to another, thus I am not entitled to maternity pay or SMP and have to rely on maternity allowance... however, if you are a bloke, this would not be an issue for you!
    Check out this link: http://www.atl.org.uk/academiescampaign for more pros/cons.