1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy or not Academy

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, May 18, 2011.

1. I know 50% of secondary schools are going the Academy way nationally. I'd like to know why other primary schools are holding back? There seems to be a view emerging that perhaps primary schools are too dependent on local authority structures and support. I'm not keen on the notion and ethics of an Academy or a two tier system. There also seems no proof that they make any difference to educational outcomes. It would be interesting to know what other Heads think.

2. I know 50% of secondary schools are going the Academy way nationally. I'd like to know why other primary schools are holding back? There seems to be a view emerging that perhaps primary schools are too dependent on local authority structures and support. I'm not keen on the notion and ethics of an Academy or a two tier system. There also seems no proof that they make any difference to educational outcomes. It would be interesting to know what other Heads think.

3. brian37

brian37 New commenter

As a recent converter there are many benefits, not the least the opportunity to take charge of significant amounts of money which were otherwise being squandered in some LA black hole/fancy offices..
    We have always prided ourselves on working with others whilst innovating, creating and generally doing what feels right for us. I don't buy all this "conspiracy theory" stuff -we have absolutely no intention of being swallowed up by some private sponsor and our Funding Agreement wouldn't allow it. Nor would our governors and parents.
    It all depends where you are, what the LA has done for you and how you see the future LA shaping up. It is very definitely not one size fits all.

4. It seems that many schools are not budging and staying put with LA. Does anyone know what Labour intend if they get back in?