1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy goes for amazing and innovating new teaching job spec

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrsmumbles, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'd love to hear the opinion of someone currently working there.

Mrsmumbles and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I've taught History. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole; to smug, too "witty", too full of itself and somewhat insulting (I can't be specific, it just feels it) about the subject I love.

Mrsmumbles, sbkrobson and Laphroig like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Re: Grove Academy. The autocorrect has put an r in the school's name by mistake.
    . [​IMG]

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

They are just trying to make the job sound more interesting then it actually is, Lots of employers do it but few potential candidates really believe it.

I suppose it gives HR something to do. o_O

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It might appeal to younger entrants to the profession to whom I suspect it is targeted, not us old and somewhat more sceptical nay expensive codgers.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

And sometimes, ads like this, can ensure the people they don't want, don't apply.

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I quite liked the ad... made me curious.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Oddly enough I could have a crack at a History of Magic post - my second subject was History and my Great-Great-Grandad was a music hall magician for most of his working life. :)

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Sounds great, but they'll turn out to be a load of dodgy tricksters.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Sounds like they're after a bit of a Colin Hunt

Or the Head's one.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I could do it.

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Go for it then!!!! 'A successful candidate will be in a prime position to help us shape the teaching of history across the whole school in the future.' Goodness me . . . . yes and goodness me again! It is a chance of a lifetime. I'm definitely coming out of retirement for this opportunity!!!! Old? No, never!

nizebaby and racroesus like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hmmm.
    Let's think-which subject represents (one of) the most difficult in which to find yourself a teaching job? That would be History.
    And which subject represents the easiest in which to find yourself a job? That would be Science.
    So
    Am I the only one who has spotted that in a superfluous contrivance of over one thousand words, there is a pivotal and unambiguous cluster of twelve words indicating that actually they want a Science teacher?
    Look again-I did not have to hot iron a faded document written in orange juice to get this. It's right there plonk in the last third of the advert.
    Obviously the UPS potential is at the start. Along with the fact of the job being suitable for an NQT. So why would any applicant possibly want to read to the end?
    I guess they're looking for somebody who's pretty stupid.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Did they forget to add the instruction meet us on platform 9 3/4 Or muggles need not apply?
    "Curiouser and curiouser "said Alice quite forgetting her grammar!

Mrsmumbles and Jamvic like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yes. The first project would be about the science that allowed the prehistoric to become the historic.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Evidence of raising achievement. So, usual reference with requirement of results and tracking data to be provided. Sigh.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Why does the OP think it is amazing ?

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It wasn't inane adverts alone that stopped me watching the telly. It began when I refused to watch ITV any longer or listen to commercial radio when inane adverts interrupted my enjoyment of music.

If the Tories have their way, they'll make the BBC have inane adverts instead of the licence fee, so it becomes an even faster race to the bottom.

What is so difficult about flogging a teaching job these days, that they need to resort to the same tactics used to sell margarine to a reluctant public? "Can you tell talk from mutter?" "I can't believe it isn't butter?"

From my perspective as an employer, I can't believe that what passes for education these days isn't just margarine pretending to be butter, supported by the same lies that butter was unhealthy, when the truth is that it's sugar that is that does the damage and people are now unwell from being told to substitute unhealthy margarines instead of butter to support the sugar industry.

Ad campaigns that can sell schitt to an unsuspecting nation have been shown to be effective, so why wouldn't similar ad campaigns work as effectively in flogging schitt jobs to teachers?

If I was in charge of attracting young teachers into the profession today, I wouldn't go over the top like this ad did. I'd just say the package includes a top of the range, latest mobile phone; and then you'll be inundated with gormless idiots signing their lives away to a career of misery.

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Delivering excellence.

A classic, that one.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.