1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy Chains

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ferretmasta, May 21, 2020.

1. ferretmasta

ferretmasta New commenter

First off I'll out myself as 200% anti Academy Chains in anyway shape or form. I'm also hoping to already have annoyed the Maths teachers.

Can someone please point me in the direction of any decent articles on line both for and against Academies?

I can't get my head around the "fact" that allowing a Private Company to run a school makes economic sense.

In the olden days the County or LEA would run numerous schools and have a CEO on a huge amount of money, the cost of which would be spread across many many schools.

Now we appear to be in a position where there are far fewer schools in a chain but still a CEO on a lot of money. And there are lots of academy chains with a very well renumerated CEO taking money from only a few schools' budgets compared to the aforementioned days of yore.

Thanks for replying, if you think you can enlighten this ancient Maths teacher.

Any grammatical errors found are deliberately placed to annoy English Colleagues.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

To be honest a quick goggle will supply you with hundreds of articles that would cover what you are asking.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Google!

But why? Are you seriously going to read them?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That's because economics wasn't directly the driving force behind the creation of academy chains. They make any savings because academy chains have less negotiating power for budgets than local authorities and they don't have to go along with things like national pay and conditions. Haven't you noticed the rise in complaints about school funding in the last few years?
    There was a fair amount of shouting about "schools take back control" but actually central government took back control, because the academy chains are essentially under direct contract to them.
    When my last LA school academised, a significant drop in funding resulted.