1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy chains- an alternative?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by andersoncouncil, Mar 17, 2016.

1. andersoncouncil

andersoncouncil New commenter

I'm fairly certain that some years ago councils were told they were no longer allowed to manage their own housing stock. To get around this local authorities in my area created their own 'separate' companies. As a tennant at the time, there was no change or difference. I dealt with the same staff, in the same building wearing a slightly different badge.
    I have no idea what the requirements for a MAT are, but in theory is it possible that councils could create their own 'separate' organisation to manage schools that don't actually want to become academies? Local authority by the back door? I could see the council in my area going for it (northern, Labour controlled since time began). I have no idea if it would be legal/ possible.

Any thoughts, before I aggressively start hounding my local councillors?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

A spokesman from my LEA said in an interview yesterday that they could possibly become an Academy chain sponsor in order to retain the many services the LEA currently offers to schools. My gut feeling is that LAs are too cash-strapped to be able to do anything significant, sadly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But if there are still a lot of good LA schools who want this, then why not.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I think it's an excellent idea! It's definitely an initiative I would support.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So do I, but where's the money going to come from?

6. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I'm sure the Conservatives can use some of that money they so mercilessly steal from the pockets of the vulnerable.

delnon likes this.
  7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

The UKIP thieves would steal even more.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's one of those ideas that makes sense... so it has no place in government policy.

However, when I was subjected to bullying, mismanagement and eventually dismissal it was in an LA school. So the infection has spread...

delnon likes this.
  9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I won a promotion to a "challenging" school run by an inspirational Head. (SLT tends to stop a lot of flak on this site, and I really wish I could name and honour him :( ) I was one of a raft of enthusiastic subject/departmental leaders who were the last component in what had been a painful restructuring process.
    Half a term later the LEA announced the school was going to be amalgamated with a neighbouring school on the grounds of falling rolls. They must - or ought - to have seen this coming, but they let the restructuring (always disruptive, however well it's managed) take place, without regard for the pupils or the staff.
    There was of course a "consultation". o_O
    Incompetence is not the sole preserve of the Palace of Westminster.

wanet and lanokia like this.
  10. andersoncouncil

Our authority has always taken good care of special education and are good supporters of alternative education etc. I know they aren't always perfect, I have probably moaned about them numerous times, but I'd still rather work for them than one of these dodgy chains.

I'm clinging on to anything. We are a special (SEMH) unit for KS4. We depend on the fact that the authority rate us enough and see the need across the county to stump up for planned places. None of these chains would be willing to fund places that might be empty for part of the year. I have no idea where these kids would go. Mainstream, PRUs and even SEMH secondary schools haven't worked. We are their last hope and I don't think where vulnerable and complex children like these will end up has been considered. There are bits of private provision around that I believe cost about £60k a year. It's frightening really.

11. andersoncouncil

It also occurred to me that authorities will no longer need education departments. Surely the redundancies alone will be a fortune. It might be cheaper to try and avoid them. I can think of plenty of faces at ours with good salaries and 20 years plus service.

I can't imagine there will be any help with that bill from government.

delnon likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, we are in the same boat. Just crossing fingers and hoping it all works out. The lack of focus on young people in severe need is alarming. A bit of money spent at KS4 can save a fortune later on if it keeps severely disadvantaged and challenging pupils in education and out of trouble.

lanokia likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have no idea how Academies are managed and run but I did spot that one group is run by a group including two people who used to provide training. I met them on NPQH training. They were OK. Nothing special though. And now they help to head up a large stable of schools. Amazing.