1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academy Chain

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lunar546, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

Hi,

There is a job I am interested in, but it is part of a large academy chain. Has anyone experience of working for a large academy chain? I know there will be good and bad points, but as I will be an NQT I have nothing to compare it with.

Many thanks

Lunar546

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Depends which chain. Check the terms & conditions.There's one big one I can think of which really believes in extracting its pound of flesh from its employees. Staff meetings finishing at 9pm, anyone?

3. Lunar546

That is my concern. This is a very large, country-wide chain.

Can I ask to see the terms and conditions prior to interview?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Of course!

Before applying even!

Be even better if you just happened to have an e-mail account that is not linked to your name. And, obviously, not the one that you are using for your applications! ;)

By the way - have you found the Professional Advice Hub and its support for applications? here are some examples:

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Get ready for the application season! * * * Must Read * * *

Are Academies right for me?

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

There are masses more . . . tag me @TheoGriff if you need some links.

Best wishes

5. KieranBurke

KieranBurke New commenter

Academy chains are no better or worse than any other system I've worked in. I'd say it depends more on your managers. I'm lucky in that I work with some excellent people within a chain.

I'd suggest visit their website, they usually list quite a lot of documentation on it.

6. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

I'd agree up to a point. Most multi-academy trusts will broadly follow the standard Teachers Terms & Conditions as agreed with the unions, and so it is then a question of the individual school managers. But, I do know of one big chain that doesn't follow Teachers' Ts& Cs, and there may be others.

7. grussell1

grussell1 New commenter

I'm not sure I agree with either of you. I was employed by an Academy Trust from September 2015 until the half term just passed. I can confidently say I had the most horrendous time and I was treated horrifically - Let me first stress I am an NQT (Probably the most important year of my career) and I was moved Year group after the first term (due to a staffing crisis - HLTA took my old class. In an Academy it is possible to employ unqualified teachers) and I struggled to build a rapport with my new class - I am a NEW TEACHER.

Furthermore, I was told I was failing because I was given the worst behaved class in the Academy (three expulsions in the first week) and my Behaviour Management was not on point (class previously had an experienced teacher - see my previous thread - again I AM A NEW TEACHER). I had just completed one term of my NQT induction successfully and I flourished in my first class. But due to the way I was treated I made the brave decision to be the FIFTH class teacher to leave (since September) to protect my future career and that was the best decision I have ever made. I have another job now in a school that appreciates me.

I was in correspondence with my union at all points from December onwards and they couldn't do much because 'Academies can do whatever they want', and since 'Academies can do whatever they want' I checked my contract and as I was still on my probationary period (for struggling to build a relationship with my new class) I could leave by giving a week's notice. Now I understand this was one experience of many, but I would just like to pre-warn you (as I wish I had been pre-warned) about the things Academies can 'get away with'. Within their policies and day-to-day management Academies do not have the best interests of teachers in mind. When you visit or go for an interview, ask about staff morale and staff turnover as I hope there are some fantastic Academies about.

My personal motto is 'don't work in a place where you're unhappy'. Go with your gut feeling Lunar546.

jomaimai and dljames2013 like this.
  8. Lunar546

Thanks everyone. I decided against it in the end.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck in whatever you do do.

10. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

But bear in mind that, no matter how many questions you ask and documents you read, you will not know, if it is the right school for you, until you experience it. On top of that, schools change. You can love it the first term. Then, a new head is appointed and heads star rolling (I am very bad making jokes).