1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academisation

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mbee1, Sep 28, 2017.

1. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

Before the election we, as a Governing Body (Community Primary of 420 children), were seriously looking at academisation either by joining an already established MAT or coming together as a group of schools locally to establish a new MAT, subject to acceptance of the idea by the RSC. Since the election everything has gone very quiet on this front nationally and we're now wondering what to do. We have a CEO of a two school MAT coming to talk to us soon and we've already had a presentation to form a new MAT and, of course, there is the option to do nothing. This last option we wouldn't have considered before the election but, in view of the quietness of everything, it's back on the table.

Any thoughts from Governors in a similar situation? Ofsted was 2.5 years ago and we were rated as good.

2. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

We thought we would be in a similar situation and were not keen to be an academy in any shape or form. In order to avoid that a number of schools in Tower Hamlets have joined in as an Education Partnership... the plan was to work as a group to avoid it at all costs. If it were me, I would cancel the meetings until you know the lay of the land.

3. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

Thanks for this. We don't particularly want to avoid being an Academy but we want to do it on our terms. We've discussed Collaboration and Federation and that isn't for us. It's the way our LA (Nottinghamshire County) tends to push but there isn't the support there - they do very little for us now and, sometimes, we feel we'd be better off outside their remit. I'm excited about establishing a new MAT locally with other schools who have the same ethos as us and, whilst everything has gone quiet, I think it will crop up again in the very near future and we don't want to be left behind.

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Its a catch-22. As the clock ticks your options reduce. With a dynamic head and good staff who have lots of ambition you may have a chance to take the lead and create a MAT but most heads only want to academize if they can be the CEO.

5. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

Our Head doesn't want that job - likely to be the Head of one of the other schools. We have a CEO of another MAT coming to talk to us next Monday but it's only two schools and whilst one of those two is OK the other needs to pull its socks up. I'm concerned that, if we choose to go with them, and the other school doesn't get better the RSC will force the MAT to join another one and we'll have no say at all!

6. Northhead

Northhead New commenter

And if you speak to an RSC they will tell you that this is the next stage- for smaller MATs to be taken over by larger MATS as they feel the smaller MATs are unsustainable. They want pupil numbers to be in the tens of thousands rather than just the thousands.

Of course, eventually we'll end up with MATs the size of, er, Local Authorities...

mbee1 likes this.