1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academies - where can I get the best info?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I know it shouldn't be on Personal but I thought it would be better to try on here and only here first rather than try several other fora all at the same time, so advance apologies.
    I need to do some research but would be very grateful if anyone has any personal info about moving to academy status please. Philosophically I know a lot of people disagree with them. Nevertheless I need to do some digging around. If anyone can point me in some useful directions it would be great.
    Many thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Without knowing the kind of thing you're after, it's hard to say. The Dept for education (no idea what it calls itself these days, lost track) has the official stuff, but I'm sensing you want something else?

3. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

Two schools near to me (and therefore not so far from you gorgybaby, if I remember correctly) are in the process of converting: in one the staff are striking and in the other (I think) the staff are working to rule.
    Chiletita Una's school went like a dog out of a trap - they were the first in the area. We attended an absolute travesty of a parents' meeting where we asked some questions re SEN funding which they couldn't answer to our satisfaction, and to be honest it looked to all intents and purposes that the decision was already made. We were told by the Chair of Govs "We didn't have to hold this meeting. We don't have to inform you or consult you".
    We were incensed.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Nice.
    Is that actually true? I thought changes to T&Cs, status and so on had to go to the parents and to the staff?
    (I may well be very naive, however...)

5. I work in one and like it ok but it is very different to working in a "normal" school- they run like companies, holidays are less, pay usually equal, working day longer, meetings more often and longer, more eves etc

6. There are levels of consultation, of course.
    Thanks for the info thus far!

7. DM

DM New commenter

8. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

I was under the impression it was the Head's decision alone. Easier if you have the staff and govs with you of course. Parents....well, who cares? There are other schools. (Chiletita Una's school is in the process of being wrecked)

9. There are a series of consultations legally required

I do not think that this has to include staff, but I am not sure

10. DM

DM New commenter

No it doesn't. One of our neighbours told their staff after the event. The unions bristled and told the Head he should have informed them. He replied "You're probably right. Sorry. I will next time."
    If you want to know if you are going, you should join Leadership or the Governing Body of your school or keep an eye on the published list (updated each month).
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/p/publication%20list%20-%205%20january%202011.pdf

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The governors make the decision. Not the head. There is no legal requirement for a consultation with anyone. It's up to the GB. **** isn't it?

12. the dept info says there are legal requirements for consultation

13. Correction

There has to be a consultation BUT no guidance regarding WHO needs to be consulted

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

it's good practice, we were told we didn't have to. It could be something as simple as the conversation my chair had with me which went;
    " what do you think about academy status?"
    "I think it's an awful idea, you're welcome to do it but you'll be looking for a new headteacher"
    " ok, we won't be doing it then"
    consultation over
    I would add that I had discussed it with staff to get their views before I had this chat with the chair.

15. before I had this chat with the chair.
    [Sniggers]
    Is it a bit like "talking to the wall"?

16. DM

DM New commenter

I'm surprised you are all wealthy enough to decline the £££. It crudely works out as three quarters of a million for us if this Government hangs around for another 4 years before buy back. I don't think many schools will be able to afford to turn down the invitation when it comes.

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

lol there are days lily when I would probably get further if I did.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

in primary it doesn't work out anything like as much. Plus our LA are very good. I haven't spoken to a single primary head who's up for it and I know of only one secondary now.
    The risks far outweigh the cash.
    We've worked out that we'd make a couple of grand in the first year but have to pay silly money for services which the la provides for peanuts.

19. Your LA may provide them for peanuts now but ours is getting rid of much of the current provision and, if the cuts to local funding are as bad as we think they will have to charge an arm and a leg for what is left

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That's the fear. And that's what the comdems are hoping will force schools tp
    become academies. It's divide and conquer.
    I'm still not prepared to head up an academy unless there is absolutely no alternative ( eg we are forced to become one) I think this will be the next step for Gove if people aren't rushing to sign up. I would imagine if your la is **** and they top slice 15% you'd be rushing to change. Ours topslice 8% and are, on the whole, excellent.