1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academies - Some questions.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellezr, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I apologise if some of you feel this is a subject that has been done to death but I'm finding that the issue of academies is a minefield of information and there are a few things I don't understand and can't seem to get a clear answer to.

1. Why are underperforming primary schools threatened with academy status? In what way does becoming an academy improve standards?

2. Does becoming an academy always mean a new head?

3. Does becoming an academy mean a complete restaffing? A friend, and fellow teacher, of mine has been told that if her school becomes an academy all staff will need to reapply for their jobs - is this the case? What about job security for support staff?

4. Does a school need to be sent into special measures in order for it to be forced to converted into an academy?

Thanks in advance. Sometimes it is difficult to separate facts from scaremongering.

2. Grr. I did use paragraphs, but they disappeared. Sorry.

3. There are a lot of things I have heard surrounding acadamies - I am like you with not quite knowing what a lot of it means...
    There are a few schools in my area that have become acadamies and as far as I know the head and all teaching staff have remained the same - although I dont know if they had to apply to stay the same or not...

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

My personal views:
    Because the current government is determined to use as many carrots and sticks as it can to privatise as much of the state sector as it can.
    No, not even in supposed failing schools, despite the fact that evidence might suggest that new leadership would be far more effective than new governance.
    Again no, despite any evidence.
    Apparently not. It seems that any school that is below certain politically-set 'thresholds' can be forced into becoming an academy.

As for what happens when academies take over schools which are improving and then make things worse - as happened in the recent case of the Sir Robert Woodard Academy in Sussex - remains to be demonstrated!