1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academies new pay

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Student8646, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Student8646

Student8646 New commenter

Hi everyone,

We all know how much controversy the £30,000 NQT salary by 2022 has caused. Its looking more and more increasing likely that it will happen with salaries increasing to £26,000 in 2021 however I was curious whether academy secondary schools would also abide by this drastic salary increase. Its well known academies and trusts don't have to abide by the government pay scales but generally honour a “main pay scale” system very similarly. My question is, with the numbers of academies (especially the one most enticing to me) increasing ... will their pay for NQTs increase to £30,000 or stay at £24,373

Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Who knows!

Until each Trust decides it's Pay Policy your question is impossible to answer. It will also depend on how much of the increased pay is funded by the government.

agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  3. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I was under the impression that academy chains don't have to follow the main scale.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

They don't (neither do standalone academies and free schools). But OP's point, which I believe is correct, is that many (maybe most?) academies follow STPCD main scale voluntarily when they decide their own pay policies. But will they still do so when bottom of main pay range goes up to £26,000 next year, then to £30,000 subsequently? Who knows!

Piranha likes this.
  5. Student8646

Student8646 New commenter

What do you personally think they will do? As a student looking into school direct routes, and some of the best being in academies, what do you think might happen?

6. Rott Weiler

My guess won't help you, sorry. It'd be no more helpful than tossing a coin.

Piranha likes this.
  7. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I expect things to get VERY difficult and nasty for teachers who remain in the 'profession' 'if' this payrise goes ahead. If the workload is bad now, wait for it because academies will then have every excuse to put the pressure on.