1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academies & LA supply agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Swiftie, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi
    I've worked for the LA's supply agency for years, and through them have had repeat work at 3 of the local schools. Two are now academies and do their own budget.
    One of them has asked me to do some tutoring/teaching small groups for a few weeks, and asked me to complete a new starter form so they can pay me directly. I have also done a day of supply there recently, booked & claimed through the agency.
    The second school has been well-staffed this year, so I only did one day for them in November, where they rang me directly from the school, and I wasn't sure if it was through the agency - they asked me to fill in their own claim form. I did a second day recently where they asked me to do a new starter form as they do all their own budget now, and commented that they may need me to do a new CRB as mine dates from July 2010.
    I know when I did a year of part-time work in the second school, arranged between myself & the HoD at the time, I was given an earbashing by the finance director because the agency had claimed a finders fee.
    I'm now a bit wary about whether there's any issues with working in these schools and still being agency supply: do I need to be careful about what I say or am I entitled to work directly for these schools as well?
    The new starter forms ask about P45s etc - I already have a different payroll number from the first school, where I had to split my tax allowance when I did a lot of work there last year (or wait until April to get it all back), yet the first day I was paid from the second school, it was just added to my normal LA payslip. Am I going to have fun with HMRC again?
    And what is the current situation with CRBs? I guess the passport idea has long gone by the board? My agency have been fine as long as it's less than 3 months between jobs through them (nearly had a problem last year as September & October were very quiet, but got one day in before half term!) But I'm loathe to pay out for CRBs for different schools (assuming they ask me to pay for it) if I only get two days work there in 6 months.
    Any advice gratefully received! Cheers.

2. Hi
    I've worked for the LA's supply agency for years, and through them have had repeat work at 3 of the local schools. Two are now academies and do their own budget.
    One of them has asked me to do some tutoring/teaching small groups for a few weeks, and asked me to complete a new starter form so they can pay me directly. I have also done a day of supply there recently, booked & claimed through the agency.
    The second school has been well-staffed this year, so I only did one day for them in November, where they rang me directly from the school, and I wasn't sure if it was through the agency - they asked me to fill in their own claim form. I did a second day recently where they asked me to do a new starter form as they do all their own budget now, and commented that they may need me to do a new CRB as mine dates from July 2010.
    I know when I did a year of part-time work in the second school, arranged between myself & the HoD at the time, I was given an earbashing by the finance director because the agency had claimed a finders fee.
    I'm now a bit wary about whether there's any issues with working in these schools and still being agency supply: do I need to be careful about what I say or am I entitled to work directly for these schools as well?
    The new starter forms ask about P45s etc - I already have a different payroll number from the first school, where I had to split my tax allowance when I did a lot of work there last year (or wait until April to get it all back), yet the first day I was paid from the second school, it was just added to my normal LA payslip. Am I going to have fun with HMRC again?
    And what is the current situation with CRBs? I guess the passport idea has long gone by the board? My agency have been fine as long as it's less than 3 months between jobs through them (nearly had a problem last year as September & October were very quiet, but got one day in before half term!) But I'm loathe to pay out for CRBs for different schools (assuming they ask me to pay for it) if I only get two days work there in 6 months.
    Any advice gratefully received! Cheers.