1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academies and Pay and Conditions

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nedchester, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Our school is proposing to move to become an academy. I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer so will ask here!

Firstly we've been told that our pay and conditions will remain the same due to TUPE. Is this correct?

What about redundancy payments. I have been working for my present LA for 25 years and the redundancy package is more generous than the statutory one. Surely if I am made redundant I am protected by TUPE and therefore get the more generous package rather than the statutory one? If not why are the unions not fighting this one?

What about hours? The head has talked about more 'flexible' hours for new employees? Can these be enforced on the present staff? Can present staff be made to work evenings/weekends? Again if this is the case why are unions allowing this?

Is there anything else that needs to concern me? My union at my school seem to think that all will be well but I have serious doubts that once the deed is done much will change.....

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The answer is, "who knows?"
    I suspect most schools will have management who will try to be benign and who will not rock the boat. They will possibly try things to make education more flexible, which will be OK for some, but possibly not be viewed so favourably by those with child care responsibiliites.
    There may be one or two schools where management will view this as an opportunity for sweeping reform and transform their terms and conditions - to the benefit of few teachers.
    It is unlikely that schools will lose their accountability. Our LEA appeared very unconcerned about its secondary schools. OFSTED are not going to go away. I suspect that central government will want to see some back to basics, lots of cost cutting and more flexible arrangements.
    If the economy recovers, recruitment of teachers may be a challenge with the level of graduate debt, but no doubt they'll think of something.
    Academies will weaken unions, bit by bit.The present business with pensions is just the start.
    P

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I know of mature teachers, who were clearly under LA rules for most of their careers, who now feel obliged to attend various weekend workshops (Friday evening ad Saturday) in their Academy . It's not exactly compulsory but is 'not looked on well if you don't attend'.

4. That is very concerning. I have a view that the weekends are for me and my family and not to be doing 'voluntary' work for my school. After all in what other job would people do extra work for free whilst their wages were cut (sorry frozen!) and having to pay extra for their pensions?