1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Academic witchhunts should be resisted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 13, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So a while back a bunch of folk in the USA started a ''Professor Watchlist'' trying to find and publicise ''lefty'' professors...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...tesque_catalog_of_left_leaning_academics.html

Now the trend has spread to the UK.

upload_2018-9-13_17-13-43.png

[please note, I don't care about the word ''Trans''... I care about the witchhunt, wrong think element. I'd be equally agrieved if it was a non-Trans person]

Meanwhile we have this beauty from LGBTQ++ Goldsmith

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/lgbtqgold

Who have decided that anyone guilty of wrong think should go to a gulag... and it's OK because gulags were actually wonderful places that were more akin to summer holiday camps.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn will be so happy...

I hope these people don't have any actual power...

nomad, grumpydogwoman and Laphroig like this.
  2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I've read about this elsewhere. It's a scandal. And i do care about the 'trans'. Interesting that many of the academics are women isn't it? Almost as if they are being silenced.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

These are the people who think the gulags weren't that bad?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Yes. I do not care what status they might claim, they should be expelled if students or fired if staff.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The old maxim 'if you cannot be good, make others look bad' applies.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The University also did not clarify why one academic paper appeared to cite Mark Hellen and Natacha Kennedy as co-authors on a paper, when they appeared to be the same person.

http://bigworldtale.com/world-news/researcher-asked-group-to-create-list-of-transphobic-academics/

Make your paper seem more authoritative!

My posts, by the way, are backed not only by me but also by Professor Jonny B Goode (who is absolutely NOT my male alter ego). So this makes my posts doubly compelling. Do you not agree?

And you should agree or I shall blacklist you. And, if I blacklist you, I can promise you that Professor Goode will strike you from HIS Christmas list too.

lanokia likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is where my problem lies...

There is genuine transphobia in the world... but labelling someone who opposes a person [who happens to be trans] transphobic undermines the term.

There is genuine misogyny/misandry in the world... but labelling someone who opposes a person [who happens to be a woman/man] misogynistic undermines the term.

There is genuine racism in the world... but labelling someone who opposes a person [who happens to be black] racist undermines the term.

There is genuine anti-semitism in the world ... but labelling someone who opposes a country [which happens to be Jewish] anti-semitic undermines the term.

elder_cat and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

Very good of Ms Kennedy to preselect and vet courses for the young people so they don't fall into ideological error. Heaven forbid they think for themselves!

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If only she had a personal Ignore function that she might never be troubled by ideas different from her own.

elder_cat likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I made my name in my first few days as a student for arguing against the HoD on the matter of conservation. He was pro and I was anti. Not an accurate representation of my position but I thought the contrary view should be aired. I did the same at teacher training leading to the exam paper on educational philosophy being tailored to my contributions. How else can a young person trial their views?
    Maybe I was lucky. Despite my problems I was always able to argue against a proposition if I thought it necessary without my teachers or lecturers, parents, brother or sister, sending me for re-education.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Goldsmiths (some students thereof) is quite active in advocating reeducation. Ms Kennedy obviously fits right in!

LGBTQ+ society: gulags were enriching

The society said it would arrange to send its critics to Soviet labour camps, such as Vorkutlag Millions died from starvation and forced labour, but actually the gulags were quite a useful way of curing “bigots”, according to one LGBT student society.

The LGBTQ+ society at Goldsmiths, University of London, has been ridiculed for describing the gulags as enriching and compassionate places with theatre and book clubs in a series of tweets that called for the eradication and “re-education” of feminists who disagreed with their views on gender.

The society had been defending the “brilliant” idea of drawing up blacklists of women deemed to be Terfs — “trans-exclusionary radical feminists” — in support of Natacha Kennedy, a transgender lecturer at Goldsmiths.

The society has been suspended and disaffiliated from the Goldsmiths Students’ Union pending investigation.

lanokia likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Good news... tweeting idiocy is fine with me... tweeting to minimise mass murder is something an institution of learning should disassociate itself from.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They should call themselves The George Bernard Shaw Society.