1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Abusive Academy

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Jacentha, Mar 9, 2018.

  1. Jacentha

    Jacentha New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    I would love to get some advice from you all.

    I got my teacher reference at the end of my PGCE and I was registered as having QTS. However when I got my new job, the school asked me for my TRN. When I checked my own profile it said "required to complete" which means I hadn't been started and it should have said "in progress" which means that Harris Academy should have claimed me but they didn't.

    I received no support from my mentor at all. My weekly meetings that were meant to be happening are not happening at all. The academy put an immense amount of pressure on me with data, marking, school shows and my class had several children with severe behaviour difficulties (I had 5 children in my class with severe behaviour difficulties, 1 so severe that he couldn't be left unsupervised at all and we had to have a radio attached with him in case he needed restraining).
    I asked countless times for support of behaviour management in my class and I was been ignored, I asked for support in how to do data and I received a quick overview from my mentor and was told off when it was all done incorrectly, I had support with planning after 6 weeks of being at this school and I never had an NQT observation.

    I would turn up for my NQT meetings and my mentor was not there.

    I went on one course that was for RWI however it was of no use to me as I was teaching year 4.

    My union are not helping at all and often don't answer the phone or don't call me back.

    What can I do about this?
  2. emerald52

    emerald52 Star commenter

    Document it in detail. Send emails to a personal email address with details of what is happening. Do it daily. Contact the local area union rep if your school rep cannot help. Remember the rep is likely to be a full time teacher too. There are Regional Officers but they are run ragged with all the disputes. If there is a meeting then send pleasant reminders such as 'really looking forward to meeting up today at 4pm. I'd like to discuss....' Then email them after summarising what happened. You need to shift their priorities. You will accumulate a huge body of evidence to back up your case.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Stop paying your union fees and use the money towards getting individual legal advice. They are mostly no win no fee anyway.
    You need to check your QTS status- if you have not been awarded QTS then you cannot start an induction period. If so you need to look into this to see what the issue with your QTS is.
    There should be a named person at the Appropriate Body who you can discuss this with.
  4. carriecat10

    carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

    @Jacentha I am concerned that you have made yourself identifiable from some of the details in your post. I would suggest you request that this post is deleted. I'm assuming your username is not your real name!

Share This Page