1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abuse of Position on Residential Trip

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lennyhope, Jan 20, 2012.

1. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

I organised a residential trip to London last Spring. On the trip my
    line manager said he was meeting up with a male ex student in London.
    He came by train from University some 100miles away. He then tagged
    onto the trip and ended up staying in my line managers room in the
    hotel. My line manager is gay and so is the ex student who had only
    left college some 6 months before......I am fearful of a backlash if I
    tell. I have wrestled with it for ages and my NUT local office say I
    should say something regardless. How serious is my line managers
    indiscretion as he is due to go with another residential trip soon? I
    know that as a straight member of staff it would be perhaps more obvious
    an indiscretion if I invited a female student to stay in my room. As a
    postscript, the teacher in question is close to many students and the
    ex student in question is still close to the member of staff outside work.
    Help [​IMG]

2. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

I organised a residential trip to London last Spring. On the trip my
    line manager said he was meeting up with a male ex student in London.
    He came by train from University some 100miles away. He then tagged
    onto the trip and ended up staying in my line managers room in the
    hotel. My line manager is gay and so is the ex student who had only
    left college some 6 months before......I am fearful of a backlash if I
    tell. I have wrestled with it for ages and my NUT local office say I
    should say something regardless. How serious is my line managers
    indiscretion as he is due to go with another residential trip soon? I
    know that as a straight member of staff it would be perhaps more obvious
    an indiscretion if I invited a female student to stay in my room. As a
    postscript, the teacher in question is close to many students and the
    ex student in question is still close to the member of staff outside work.
    Help [​IMG]

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I am not sure how the law is on this one, so to me it would mean inform the child protection officer and after that it is no longer my business.

4. Absolutely right karvol
    If you do not say anything to anyone it will get out anyway as students know. But make sure you only speak to the child protection person and no one else- no gossip or it will back-fire.

5. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

I'm pretty sure the rule is that if there is a child protection issue and you DON'T tell you are up for disciplinary as well (and I THINK it can go right up to dismissal if you have put children at risk by not telling).

I agree with the above tell the Child Protection bod or the Head, then it's no longer your problem

Ian

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

What age is the ex-student? If he's 18 and has left college then it's not a child protection issue- unless this was a trip with other pupils on it (your post only mentions a "residential trip").

7. Karvol

I am not sure it is that straightforward. One also has to consider the aspect of grooming ( the student only left 6 months ago ).
    The easiest thing is to mention it to the child protection and then let him or her deal with it. They are the ones who are meant to know the minutae of what is or is not relevant.

8. I really do think that you should follow procedure on this one and mention it and then you can forget it. It is up to the Child protection person to act or not to act- and often they are party to other information- your info may well confirm something else condfidential which they already know. If it is not relevant and there is no child protection issue then you can just rest assured that you acted properly.

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

This is the bit that would bother me. A residential trip approved by the school should not be something that someone else tags on to. How would you feel if an adult supervising children on a school trip decided to take a prositute back to his room?
    Mention it to the designated person at school. My opinion is that your line manager abused his position on the trip. You should not have to put up with that.

10. Regardless of the ex-student, there is also the issue of the other children on the trip because I presume the ex-student was not CRBed or cleared to be with the group.

11. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

I think the person involved, tried to suggest that I was bringing HIM into disrepute!?

12. chriszwinter1

He doesn't need you for that. It's classic misdirection. If you're running the trip. you should have final say on who goes. If you don't get that assurance from your HT, don't go.

13. He does not need to know that you have mentioned this to the Child protection person. You do not need to tell him. If there is a case to answer the person will act with discretion and will not say you were the informant if you ask- after all the kids on the trip know presumably and a parent could have informed. if there is no case to answer then the information will go no further, Other posters are right in saying that if this is disclosed by someone else and it comes out that you knew, you will be disciplined. You need to look after yourself.

14. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

As I said, I have passed onto current line manager (HoD). Is that enoug, to let him pass onto the Safeguarding responsible director of students?

15. Karvol

I would argue, with a child protection issue ( if it is that ) then it is none of your HoD's business. The Child Protection officer is the one who needs to be told.
    I too have been in a position similar to yourself. I informed the Child Protection officer and a full investigation was done and nothing was found to be amiss.
    My name was never mentioned.

16. becky70

becky70 New commenter

No. If you have a concern then it is your responsibility to report it to the person in charge of child protection. I would also add that they are the only person who should be told.
    This applies whatever your role in a school - a lunchtime supervisor who was worried about a child protection issue should report straight to the child protection person and bypass everyone else.

17. chriszwinter1

As you are the one who is concerned, and from what you've told us I would argue rightly so, it remains your responsibility to inform the designated person. The designated person should have had the relevant training and should also have informed the staff that he/she would rather deal with a false alarm than not be involved at all.

18. I agree with Karvol. Time and time again the message is that concerns must be passed on to the Child Protection Officer, it shouldn't be a decision for you to make. It's important that someone with the training and responsibility has all the pieces of the jigsaw. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You are disclosing information as per your work contract. You are not being judge and jury.

19. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

Read the posts and I hope you understand why taken so long. I have also had conflicting advice since the issue arose and also there was a change of line management and my application for the staff members post! Safeguarding person WAS told by me about the tagging along on the trip. I was asked if she could pick it up with me when she was less busy....Never metioned by them since. For info. this is a sixth form college I'm talking about, not a high school.

20. lennyhope

lennyhope New commenter

Re 'brookes' post.... I was pressed by my HoD whether this was a grievance or allegation. I have tried to make it clear that what I was reporting was fact. Nothing alleged, it's like I was being challenged...'come on then'....'bring it on'....are you making an allegation then'....kind of way....