1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi or Dubai?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Miss_Hilton, Apr 16, 2011.

1. I am thinking carefully about the jump into international teaching. I would love to work in NYC but there are no jobs in those international schools at the moment. However I have noticed one in a certain chain for Abu Dhabi. There is also a job in a school in Dubai. I thought maybe these would be good jumps into inetrnational teaching. Has anyone worked in both places? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

It depends on what you are looking for, if you wanted to go to NYC maybe Dubai is more suitable for you.

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Most people who know Dubai and Abu Dhabi tend to prefer the latter. That is the impression I have.

4. This is the problem. I have a friend who's teaching in Dubai now who likes it but then I have another who was in Abu Dhabi for a few years who loved it there. Then on the other side, people say it's great in Dubai but have only been there on holiday! It's just confusing at the moment!

5. I lived smack in between the two in a place called Al Ain (technically in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi but couldn t be more different to the city). If I had to choose between the two cities it would be Abu Dhabi. Dubai is great for weekend but I find it rather tiring. Traffic is awful and it is rather expensive compared to Al Ain. I personally found Abu Dhabi calmer but it doesn t have the same night life as Dubai.
    It really depends what you are after
    Dubai pluses = night life, shopping, near the beach, the Irish village (have to confess I ve a soft spot), close to airport (good for travelling)
    Dubai negatives - traffic, expensive, little chance to experience local culture, tiring, loads of expats (it really depends whether thats a plus or negative for you, I found some expats to be awful moaners and drove me quite mad at time)
    Abu Dhabi pluses = beach, ok shopping malls, fewer expats than Dubai, salaries quite good, good airport, cheaper than Dubai, more chance to experience local culture
    Abu Dhabu negatives= traffic at some parts,

For me personally its Abu Dhabi hands down, but it really depends what you want! Hope that helps!