1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi or China (Wuxi)?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Pina_Colada, May 1, 2019.

1. Pina_Colada

Pina_Colada New commenter

I have just been offered a job in a job in Abu Dhabi with £3332 gross, plus free accommodation.

I have also been offered a job in China (Wuxi) which would be around £3350 net per month but you have to spend £500 of that on accommodation (you can get a nice 3 bedroom place for that in Wuxi).

Help me decide? (it's not all about money but just added that to show what was financially on offer)

I had my heart set on China and I am nearly there with completing the crazy visa process but Abu Dhabi also seems a very good school and place to work.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

If you want to PM me the school name for Abu Dhabi, I can give you the low-down on what you will be walking into if you chose here... it may be amazing, or it may be awful - the extremes are that real!

3. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

If you have already nearly completed the visa process for China then this would suggest that you have already accepted their offer at which point you should have stopped looking for jobs elsewhere...

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Salaries can be an important part of the package, but only one part. Try to see the bigger picture. Yes, you might have to pay more for accommodation, but what about transport? Buying even a second-hand car (and keeping it on the road) can be a big hole in the pocket. If you can use public transport instead or just walk to your school each day, then that will save you a lot of cash.

5. Pina_Colada

Very true - here in Kenya there is no public transport so to speak of (only the new railway that was built by the Chinese works well). Safely walking to work would be a bonus!

6. Pina_Colada

I had the interviews on the same day, the offer came late from the Abu Dhabi school. Both schools are money making businesses and I am not a charity worker. Unless you are the international school police and know more about the ethics of international schools than I do - I think I have a right to look for better options.

My School part of 'a leading global premium schools group educating over 38,000 students across an international network of over 50 schools on 5 continents' has just done an audit of staffing hours and it leaked out from SLT that they will be sacking 6 staff but they have not told them yet. At what point should they have told the staff that they are not going to have a job in September. Those 6 still don't know who they are.

7. Pina_Colada

Thank you but I am too new to the forum and as such restricted on sending PMs - but I can reply if you PM me first.

8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Wuxi will be cheaper to live and the availability of pork and beer is a plus. A car is not a necessity for life so cost saving there.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but check the school is not a Bilingual one pretending to be an international school. The new ones are just a mess to work in at the moment. Check you salary is Net or Gross as tax is around 17% for the year.

9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

You can get pork and beer pretty easily (and legally) here in Abu Dhabi.

10. february31st

The real issue with Wuxi is all the schools are in the New Town Area and its still a sterile place to live. All the bars and areas of interest are in the old town.(there is one western bar street)

If the accommodation is within the school grounds its difficult to get taxis as the schools are in the middle of nowhere. Shops are also are a distance away and no pizza delivery.

Pork chops available in Dudai at 70AED/KG frozen.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bars, more bars and pizza delivery! What a dissolute life you must lead, february21st!

12. february31st

Unfortunately Hippo we all don't have your social calendar of flower arranging classes, bridge clubs, ballroom dancing and beatle drives.

Mr_Frosty and Pina_Colada like this.
  13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

With you on that febster, having lived just 250 metres from bar street in GZ, although it didn't do much for my waistline!

14. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Well said. There's a few big global schools that want a monopoly in the education sector. Treating hard working teachers like factory workers, paying less and less. Be firm, only accept what your happy with and turn down offers if need be.

JL48 likes this.
  15. 576

576 Established commenter

Are you joking? Kenya's long distance public transport consists of the train, easy coach, and mololine prestige shuttles plus their rivals. As for short distance, there's a matatu along every 2 minutes. I know they're not always the most comfortable or safe mode of transport but to say there is none. And if you're in Nairobi there's also the green citihopper buses.

16. Pina_Colada

One train, yes one! (built by the Chinese two years ago) goes one route.

Coaches - yes but they are not going to take me to work they go long distance and are old and ****.

matatu - see many expats people on them? last time I was on one I was attacked by a guy (who turned out to be a drunk policeman - tried to report him, went very wrong). They don't pass through areas that many expats live. (however safer and cleaner than the Tyne and Wear Metro)

Maybe check out these matatu death busses online before you consider that they are a safe and reliable form of transport to and from your school.

OK - I agree that EVERY country has public transport, I was wrong. I actually take a mkokoteni to and from School - my wife has to drive it though.

Always LOL at the name mololine 'prestige' - prestige is not the word I would use.

17. february31st

It is very safe to travel in China with no physical attacks on expatriates I can recall. But wallets and iPhones do disappear on the metro or crowded busses if placed in open pockets or bags.

High speed trans from Wuxi New Station will put you in Shanghai in less than 90min the none stop service is under 1hour.

Most expats in Wuxi and Suzhou come into Shanghai at least once a month to let their hair down and do some shopping. Difficult to book tickets direct as expats dont have id cards just passport numbers to book tickets. This means you can book online but have to pick up tickets at the train station before departure, so add 30mins to your travel time.

Most expat teachers working Wuxi/Suzhou move their ass into Shanghai to work ASAP.

18. Pina_Colada

Why do they move? Cheaper accommodation in Shanghai?

19. 576

576 Established commenter

@Pina_Colada
    I don't need to check anything online.
    I used matatus and mololine prestige for mweka Tanu.
    I also used the Tyne and Wear Metro for 7 years beforehand.
    I like to experience the country I live in.

20. Pina_Colada

So do I - that is why I live in Kibera