1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi: living and teaching

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Jan 24, 2012.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I don't know much about Abu Dhabi, but Mrs Hippo and I were in the UAE for a bit. Now we are back in Qatar (just round the corner). Friends of mine in AD say that it is a fairly relaxed place, but of course some caution and common sense are required. When in doubt, it is a good idea to ask the Arabic and Islamic Studies teachers at your school and they will be happy to help.
    Too Hot to Handle? was a rather exaggerated piece that appeared in the TES about a year ago and it gave quite a negative impression of life for most teachers in the ME.

2. Hi,
    I'm due to take up a post in Abu Dhabi. The post will involve travelling in the Abu Dhabi an Al Ain region. My package includes an accomodation allowance of100000 aed. I'm thinking about renting an apartment in the Al Reef community. Will I be able to find much for the money? Also do you have any idea how much utilities might cost per month? and the cost of petrol?

3. I don't live in Abu dhabi, but am in Dubai. It costs about 10 pounds to fill up my SUV, cheaper for a smaller car. Internet and TV are expensive, I pay about 80 pounds a month. i am lucky that I don't pay DEWA, electricity and water, as they can be quite expensive, it also depends on whether you have to pay AC charges. As you will need this for 8 - 10 months of the year. Hope that helps.

4. What is the pollution like in general in the Middle East? I have a 10 month old daughter and want to make sure that it is a suitable environment to bring up a young child in. Levels of pollutants seem to be higher than most cities in SE Asia - I know this must be to do with the sand/dust so does it stop you enjoying sporting activites and walks outside?

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

I currently live in the more populated area of AD, the Tourist Club and I have to say it is pretty clean. The beaches, malls, supermarkets and public areas are very well attended to. As for air pollution, it's not noticeable. During the summer months the heat and humidity get you in the city more than the traffic fumes if I'm honest. Now is the ideal time to get out and about and explore the city as the temperatures are very comfortable.

6. Thanks rednelly84. Would you mind sending me a pm with any schools you'd recommend for British primary teachers?
    Thanks again.

7. Hi,

I have a blog that has a number of articles on Abu Dhabi. Go to the homepage and type in a search. I am still living here with my wife and two kids and am loving it!
    http://homeandotherthoughtsfromabroad.blogspot.com

8. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

Please please help. I am in turmoil!! Am in temporary contracts which are due to finish and am wonderin about work in Dubai.
    Firstly, would it be worth it financially, I have 2 children, ages 6 and 1.
    I am an MFL teacher -French and Spanish 2 years experience.
    What is the housing really like?
    I am a muslim British citizen.
    Please help!!!!!