1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi Experiences

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bristolavon, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dear all,

I'm considering teaching in Abu Dhabi next academic year. I've been dealing with a company called TeachAway who, so far, appear very professional.

I've seen hundreds of forum posts from teachers asking what teaching in Abu Dhabi is like, but very few answering it. Specially, I've not seen any posts from teachers who have gone onto the program and are able to offer their opinions.

Has anyone on the forum had experience teaching in AD? Specially, are there any UK trained teachers who have had experience teaching out there?

I'm interesting in discovering the following:
    What teaching styles are acceptable? Is a more didactic approach a negative thing?
    How do the students behave to the teachers? Is respect automatically gained from being an adult in a Islamic country?
    How does teaching in UK based state schools differ from teaching in AD?
    If you want to send me a private message, you're welcome.

2. Hi, I can't answer your questions, but this page might help you as it answered my questions!!

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/560263.aspx

3. Yup, that link has it all. I can send you the ADEC Curriculum too. I wouldn't worry so much about your teaching style - just get ready to teach a 1st language English course to students who are learning it as a foreign language. Insane.

4. Hi
    Yes that is a reputable agency -I went through them and it was all legit. This is a good site for more info on Abu Dhabi as well www.yourabudhabiguide.com
    Hope it helps!

5. ADEC can really advertise a great package all is not what it seems with them.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Respect is not automatically granted in Arabic culture.
    I've seen this cause problems for many teachers who walked into the classroom assuming they were automatically respected. If you approach the students with this attitude, it will come across as arrogance and superiority, and you will find yourself in a very testing situation very quickly.
    Respect can be earned, and generally the easiest way is to first extend respect towards the students. Treat them politely. Handle behaviour issues quietly and as privately as possible. Definitely handle them, just don't do it loudly and in public. You will not earn points or intimidate students by telling off Aziz in front of his peers, going on about how late he is, how often it happens, how it shows his poor attitude. Rather, Aziz's peers will all decide that you are rude (which is absolutely true from their cultural perspective) and not worthy of respect. (Honestly, I'm not a fan of such methods in any culture, but just pointing out that in this one, there would be a much bigger consequence for the teacher than would be expected in many other places.) Instead, quietly and calmly in advance establish a system for lateness, such as 'sign in on the paper by the door and sit down quietly; I'll see you later'. Low key but consistent works very well.
    Students here can be an absolute joy. Show your respect for them and give them some time to decide how they feel about you. They may test you a little, they've even been known to admit to deliberate tests, but if you stay calm, quiet and consistent, before long they'll be on your side. Come in arrogant, loud, with arms waving, and they'll take you down. Fair enough.