1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi- can you really save money?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Fifi11, May 20, 2011.

1. 'Abu Dhabi is the second most expensive city for expatriate employees in the region, and 50th most expensive city in the world.<sup id="ecxcite_ref-City_Mayors_6-0" class="ecxreference">[7] '

Granted this was taken from Wikipedia (!), but what do people think? Can you save over there or is it as expensive in reality as it is on paper?
    Fifi [​IMG]

2. 'Abu Dhabi is the second most expensive city for expatriate employees in the region, and 50th most expensive city in the world.<sup id="ecxcite_ref-City_Mayors_6-0" class="ecxreference">[7] '

Granted this was taken from Wikipedia (!), but what do people think? Can you save over there or is it as expensive in reality as it is on paper?
    Fifi [​IMG]

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Undoubtedly, AD is an expensive place to live but only if you choose to make it so. It is very easy to fall into a false sense of security and you can literally purchase anything. Have a bit of common sense and some basic budgeting skills and you will be fine.
    Be prepared in your first year to have a lot of initial set up costs so do not get disheartened if your savings plan isn't going well! I started properly saving after Christmas and have put a good starter amount away. My current salary allows me to comfortably live on around 3000dhs a month (currently about &pound;500) and save the rest.
    With a change of jobs after the Summer, I intend to get serious with my savings plan. Of course, the substantial increase in salary will help!
    [​IMG]

4. Wow that sounds great! Thanks and I hope you have a great time at your new school.

Fifi :)