1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abu Dhabi 2019

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Cashworth24, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Cashworth24

Cashworth24 New commenter

Hi all,

Any body starting a job out in any Dhabi from August? I've accepted an offer and though it might be nice to get chatting to people ahead of moving.

Very excited and keen to move and get some new experiences but apprehensive about everything at the same time xx

2. emilylee92

emilylee92 New commenter

Do you know what school you will be teaching in? I have also been offered a job (starting August) through Taaleem, but it is not clear which school.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  3. bec_payne

bec_payne New commenter

I am currently in Qatar but I'm off to Abu Dhabi in August too.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

At this rate we could have an AUH meet up next (academic) year.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  5. Cashworth24

Hi all, yes I've got a job in a private international school. I'll be heading out mid August. I've just got to get my documents attested, wanted to sort this week but mega busy with mocks at work.

Does everyone know where they'll be working/living? Is anyone going on their own or with families? I'll be alone and so excited about my new job and leaving the UK XX

6. Mr_Frosty

I've been here years and I'm settled so I know but people here are generally friendly and if you make a bit of effort it's easy to meet new people.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  7. Cashworth24

Amazing, I'm really looking forward to it. Sunshine every day. Can you imagine that? Xx

8. Mr_Frosty

It hammered down with rain last Thursday morning!

9. amyhess

amyhess New commenter

I have also accepted a job in AD starting August 2019 at a British School - where is everyone going?

10. Cashworth24

Congratulations when do you head over? I know roughly where I'll be living, do you? What do you reach, age group/subject? Xx

11. London020

London020 New commenter

I'll be teaching in Dubai ... flying out August

12. amyhess

amyhess New commenter

Thank you and to you too! I think around the Al Raha area, I'm a secondary science teacher - you? :)

13. Cashworth24

That's fab, I'm also secondary science xx

14. vsmith25

vsmith25 New commenter

Hi!
    I’m moving out to Abu Dhabi in August too - I’m a primary school teacher.
    I’m really excited for the adventure but I’m moving out there alone and don’t know anyone there yet so also very nervous!
    How is everyone’s prep for moving going?
    V

15. TeacherMan2019

TeacherMan2019 New commenter

I'm considering the UAE and ME in general for next recruiting season. Just how bad is the heat/humidity? As a fella used to cooler climates, not going outside for half of the year might be a reality for me...

16. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

It is normal in the Middle East to have months of daily temps in excess of 40c.
    In Qatar workers outside can legally stop work when the temp goes over 50c. Therefore the temp in Qatar is never reported to be over 50c. The reality is that the temp in Qatar is regularly over 50c.
    Abu Dhabi can have very high humidity. Even a short walk to lunch results in getting soaked in sweat and then back into chilly air conditioned offices resulting in the ubiquitous summer cold.
    If heat and humidity bother you, I would consider a different destination.

17. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

In my opinion you never get used to heat and humidity.....you just get use to being sweaty

TeacherMan2019 likes this.
  18. TeacherMan2019

Wow... for me, that's a serious check in the "con" column. On the other hand, Khazakstan winters don't scare me at all, so maybe that's the direction I should lean in!

19. Cashworth24

You can't let something that trivial put you off. I reckon it will be outrageous, but the life will make up for it xx

20. TeacherMan2019

I don't know if not being comfortable outside is trivial... Everyone's bodies are different right? I'm perfectly content at -25, but a lot of folks don't consider climates like that!