1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absolutely shattered

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Are any other NQTs absolutely exhausted? I changed schools at Christmas and was loving my experience at my first school. I had to change as I was doing a maternity cover. There weren't many jobs around and I thought I was lucky to secure a 2 term contract until the summer but I am not enjoying myself as much as I was at my last school. I think it is probably down to the type of school it is and I am constantly battling with behaviour every day. Add to that a parent who has made very personal comments about how her son hates me and she wants him moving out of my class and a much bigger class size and less TA time than my last school. I have tio drag myself to work every morning. I even wonder if I will make it through my NQT year at this rate!!!!
    I plan to stick at it and slog it out and everyone says it will be worth it because I am having to work hard at a tough school but I got my pay slip this morning and wondered if it was worth all the hassle and hard work for what amounted to little more than £300 a week (my P45 still hasn;t arrived so on BR tax!)

2. Are any other NQTs absolutely exhausted? I changed schools at Christmas and was loving my experience at my first school. I had to change as I was doing a maternity cover. There weren't many jobs around and I thought I was lucky to secure a 2 term contract until the summer but I am not enjoying myself as much as I was at my last school. I think it is probably down to the type of school it is and I am constantly battling with behaviour every day. Add to that a parent who has made very personal comments about how her son hates me and she wants him moving out of my class and a much bigger class size and less TA time than my last school. I have tio drag myself to work every morning. I even wonder if I will make it through my NQT year at this rate!!!!
    I plan to stick at it and slog it out and everyone says it will be worth it because I am having to work hard at a tough school but I got my pay slip this morning and wondered if it was worth all the hassle and hard work for what amounted to little more than £300 a week (my P45 still hasn;t arrived so on BR tax!)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You'll get the tax back. Just battle through it'll be worth it, its only been 3 weeks since Christmas so they're still probably 'testing' you.The glum weather probably doesn't help you either.
    If it makes you feel better my pay next month will be £300 for the whole month! [​IMG] Just praying for a permenant job sometime soon.
    x

4. Bobby I feel for you. I think you are feeling so exhausted because you have had to start again at a whole new school and all the things that go with that! I just wanted to sympathise as you sound like you have a tough job on your hands, BUT I am sure it will get easier as you are there longer. The whole parent thing is the thing I find hardest to deal with. I hate the whole confrontation thing and am never sure what to ignore and what to speak to parents about. I had a parent blow up at me completely in my first couple of weeks over nothing and I always think it's going to happen again whenever I have to speak to a parent about an issue! Ah well. I keep reminding myself you can never please everyone.
    Stick at it and remember you can always post on here for a bit of support. When you get your tax back treat yourself to something to reward yourself.
    Chin up.
    Singup

5. Don't wait for the P45. Phone payroll, fill in a P46 and get your tax sorted. Check that your student loan contributions are correct while you are at it.
    As for the exhaustion....in my 4th year and for the past week I have cried every morning on the way to work and cried the moment the children have left the classroom. I love my job but I am absolutely exhausted. I feel your pain!

6. NOT just NQTs! I've been teaching 25 years and I'm finding this term exhausting - the day-to-day face-to-face stuff with the children is very tiring, never mind all the planning and assessment and other stuff you've never thought of before. Try to break everything down into small chunks - Over the holiday plan an overview of what each week will be. Then concentrate on a week at a time. If it doens't get done don't worry. Make sure you plan in some me-time - keep one day a week to really focus on the week ahead (I stay late Friday and get stuff done for the next week, then the weekend is mine.) and do something just for you every day. You'll get more organised and confident - but you'll always be tired!