1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absolutely Boiling Hot

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Aug 26, 2019.

1. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

In my part of the country it is too hot. Our garden thermometer is registering 38 degrees (it is near our patio though) and the inside thermometers are registering 1) kitchen 28.8 2) lounge 29.7

The car temperature reading was 29 degrees when I popped to the shops just before lunch.

The news just gave my area as the top temperature in the country today.

I’m now on the sofa with a fan - an electric one not an ardent admirer (thanks BB - I’ve been waiting to use that!)

I’m having a moan because I dislike the heat at the best of times but with this and the intense heat we had on 25th July I’ve decided I’m going to research then invest in a portable AC unit for next summer. There are ongoing health issues with various family members so if I can keep two rooms cool such as the kitchen and dining room - it has a sofa in it - then we will all be happier rather than struggling in this heat.

Roll on Autumn, it is my favourite season.

Moan over.

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It's hotter today than yesterday here.

I bought a Dyson fan (not just a fan but an air cleanser too and a heater for winter) a few weeks ago and it's been fabulous and invaluable.

It's for use in all seasons not just summer.

Autumn, winter and early spring are my favourite times of year too and I can't wait!

agathamorse and janis merry like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

33 out, 29 in. I have a fan pointed at me, Mrs. M. is in the other room that she claims is cooler with a fan pointed at her.

I really don't like these hot days at all. I've been working (or procrastinating) at the computer for the last couple of days as it's too hot to do anything else and I'm quite bored now. I pruned some shrubs to fill the green bin yesterday evening around 8pm so it could be collected today, it was still about 28-29 out even then and I ended up drenched in sweat.

Amen and Praise the Lord to that!

les25paul likes this.
  4. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Is the Dyson fan better than an ordinary fan?

5. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

Maybe this could be renamed the the I love Autumn thread :) .
    I love Autumn too - the light seems softer, the colours are softer , and I love cooking Autumn type recipes and of course the temperatures are easier to cope with .
    I have a couple of chronic health conditions and I haven't been able to move for a couple of days because of the effect the heat has on my body .
    Like@Mangleworzle I'm very bored in one sense and frustrated because my mind says go and do something and my body doesn't seem to be listening .
    Still I have made some little hats for a charity and that can't be bad .
    But yes, roll on Autumn .

Shedman, agathamorse and les25paul like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

well, I have two loads of washing on the line, so I hope it won't be too long before I can bring it in.

I don't like the heat much either, but have got a bit more tolerant in recent years. I still prefer cold and rain though

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Did lunch for 7, and massively over-catered. Ate in the conservatory, which was fine, and rigged up 2 parasols on the decking. Too hot out there. Now lolling on the sofa in the lounge, with a nice breeze going through the house.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I hate the heat. Anything more than 25 degrees is too hot for me.
    We bought a Dyson fan last year. It also filters the air, which is good for asthmatics. We also have a portable air conditioner. It has been invaluable in this hot weather.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've just been in Croatia and Montenegro - it was in the high 30s every day.

Today feels like I'm back there.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is cooler today here. There was an overcast in the morning which did not clear until lunchtime. It is warm now, but not as hot as yesterday. Appreciate it (or complain about it) for now because that is probably your summer done.

11. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Agree with sparklepig - I bought it mainly for the air cleansing which helps hubs.

They are expensive but worth it.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  12. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

We are meant to have 31 degrees again tomorrow too!

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I cant get on with my brothers birthday cake at all. The fondant just won't set in this heat. It's going to end up being a last-minute panic job. :(:mad:

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It's been 31.5 in my garden, and far more on the patio, but I did lounge around on a sunbed thing for a couple of hours, and there was some breeze. Just come in and considering fetching out the fan we bought a month ago. I never thought it'd be handy again so soon. Mostly we have it pointed at the exercise bike, where it is supposed to help us cycle further.:(

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I flew out to Malta this morning. It's a glorious 32° here. I'd be only too happy to have high summer temperatures in England all year round.

colpee and nomad like this.
  16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

stuff a small, clear exam pencil case with a crumpled up dripping wet tea towel. Place in freezer. Ice pack :) I have three such pencil cases, and put one in, whenever I take one out. It isn't water proof, of course, so does drip a bit, but stick it under my tee-shirt when I get in, cools me down very fast.

agathamorse and FormosaRed like this.
  17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Fan is fetched and blowing cooler air at me. Oh the relief!
    When it was SO hot earlier, the air it blew was hot, so not much better thah not having it, really. This isn't so bad.

18. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I'm loving the sun - especially as a) I missed out on the July sun because I was working and b) we've had mostly rain, sometimes torrential, most days since I broke up.

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm in heaven. I have been since last Wednesday afternoon. I can't see I'll be stressing too much until 9th September when I go back to work. I still haven't worked up to staying awake all night but I'm getting there.

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Me too. (And warm water too swim in!)

RepelloInimicum likes this.