1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absolutely blank slate, no ties - so where?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loopy28, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm in my 4th year of primary teaching and ready for a change. I'm single, renting and have no ties aside from my student loan which is ticking away in the background.

So I'd like some advice - if you could go and work anywhere in the world, where would you go? I'm not particularly well travelled, nice weather would be good and savings would be a bonus, but most importantly I'm looking for somewhere I'd settle in easily and make lots of friends. I've followed these forums closely for the past 12 months but it seems to be a minefield of conflicting opinions!

All advice welcome! Thanks x

2. I am in a similar situation. No ties and could go anywhere. Would like to find a long-term base and save a lot of money.
    Any suggestions?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My suggestion would be to go to the "international jobs" section of the TES. You must see what jobs are available and in which countries. Then you should apply for some (or most) of them. After that, you just have to wait and see if you will be given any interviews. I am not sure that I would want to apply for any teaching jobs in Syria or Iran at the moment, but I am now a rather old and cautious hippopotamus.
    If cindycindy would like to find a long-term base and save a lot of money, I would recommend buying a house in Bulgaria. Our six-bedroomed house in the mountains only cost us £20,000, whereas properties in the UK are perhaps a bit more expensive.

4. At a good school in Cairo - I think I am pretty much where I want to be. Obviously, one or two things could be better. The post revolution feeling is a tad less relaxed than it used to be, but then it used to be VERY relaxed.
    My school is great but not perfect. When they allow the execution of students for chewing gum I will be a happy, happy punter.
    Watching the PG Tips chimps' party* on tv, although entertaining, it worries me that a settled Egypt could be some way away.
    * <strike>Question time</strike> Ranting time in Egyptian parliament.

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

If you want 'friends' you need a bigger etsablishment. I'd recommend one of the BIS schools in Europe - Istanbul was a great city and school - to get a bit of a taster and consider the far east or middle east thereafter if that appeals. Depends what sort of person you are. I'm sure for a woman the both of those can be a lonely place at times and Europe offers the opportunity to enjoy things you may be familiar with and may not want to miss.
    It isn't as straightforward as it sounds and jobs are not easy to secure. I'd be in S America or possibly HK/KL if I had my way, and I've found a certain 'bckground' is still demanded in many top schools, as in effect they are private schools on a par with Harrow/Eton. Still, I'm in SE Asia and not doing too badly after 7 years overseas. The big thing many teachers seem to overlook is job security. Posts are generally for two years and you may find yourself back on the job search after that contract expires.

6. I have started looking overseas recently and my advice would be to apply for as many as possible. I have over 5 years experience teaching History and have been told my CV, letter of application and performance at interview are all very good. I was offered a job in the middle east early on which I turned down in the hope that I will get myself a 'dream job' in a very desirable location. However, I have missed out on these posts despite some very kind feedback from the HT's following several interviews. Thus, it's maybe not a question of where, but where not? That has become my approach. Good luck.

7. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

PMed you!