1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absenteeism

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Jimvin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Jimvin

Jimvin New commenter

Just wondering what the procedure would be with a child who is regularly absent from school. Being in the independent sector the LEA do not monitor the attendance as strictly as they do in the state. We are looking at about half of the days said child is away from school. There has been every illness under the sun, but the child does not seem to be an overly sick child.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Whether the school is independent or not does not absolve it of its duty of care towards the child. The school itself will be monitoring the attendance of the child and if there is any cause for concern the child protection officer needs to be informed. He or she will know what the procedures are to involve the LEA.
    I know from my time in the UK boarding sector that the LEA would visit the school on a regular basis to make sure all current child protection legislation was in place and being followed. This included private meetings with students to get their point of view on how things were within the school.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The normal procedure would be to call in whoever is paying the fees for a discussion. I'm unclear if this is a parent or the LEA. However, it is a different matter if you suspect that child protection issues are part of the reason for the absence.