1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absent Pupils / Staff

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ridleyrumpus, Mar 16, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

How many have you got absent today?

2. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

No staff absent.

122 kids out of 580.

BetterNow and ridleyrumpus like this.
  3. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Per year group maybe 4 or 5 absences but some have already gone home. One cough and they have an excuse.

A couple of staff sent home too so far.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm home!
    We have one other member of staff self isolating, not sure how many children though

5. ridleyrumpus

Wow

6. brush75

brush75 New commenter

5 staff absent.
    94 kids absent out of 688.

7. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Sorry, should have clarified: 122 absent out of 588! Still a lot though.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No staff.
    Lots of kids.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  9. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

2 staff off. I'm one of them. I shouldn't have really gone in on Friday because I was coughing then. I suspect I've only got a cough and cold (though now getting stabbing rib pains so maybe I'm speaking too soon).
    Today I've read 9 of the 18 policies in my inbox and started collating links to sites and resources for homeworking and looked at planning for me and the other class teacher. I feel in limbo because I'm not sure if I'm off sick or not so I'm trying to earn my keep.

I'm also gloomy because I had posted on a few threads on Twitter on Saturday trying to get clarification on symptoms and last night my Head phoned me to tell me she'd had an email from a parent who is concerned and not to post anything else. It was stupid thinking about it as I'm usually so good at keeping my lives separate. I post from an account with no link to my real name and didn't mention where I work but apparently she'd spotted it because another colleague who she was friends with had responded and worked out it was me. The head says we'll discuss it when I get back so now I've got that threat hanging over me for the rest of the week.

10. che48

che48 New commenter

7 Staff and 83 Pupils.

11. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I know of a family where both parents have been ill with high temperatures and aches and pains, and yet they've still sent their child into school. Technically they're doing nothing wrong, but this seems like a recipe for disaster to me...

12. greeny11

greeny11 New commenter

0 staff
    107 children out of 760
    29 children were sent home during the day

agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  13. ibrahim10

ibrahim10 New commenter

300 out of 1300 students...

14. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

According to the latest advice, the entire family should be self-isolating.

tall tales likes this.
  15. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

In my class 7 out of 28. Class next door 11 out of 30.
    One of the year 2 classes had 15 out of 30!

8 staff absent

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The younger classes were far more heavily affected.
    3-7 year olds are more likely to have normal coughs and colds, but the slightest hint of a cough or a temperature means they are now off for a fortnight! Loads out today and likely similar or more tomorrow.
    KS2 hardly affected at all.

2 staff, both with minor coughs were told to stay at home.

17. ridleyrumpus

Wow.

18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

One of my younger relatives said no-one was absent from his (average-sized) primary. Some of the local schools are shut, so effectively have either 0 or 100% absence.

19. Outdoorman

Outdoorman New commenter

There is some good news for you, its not the end of the week now but 14 days.

20. ridleyrumpus

Almost certainly yes and if you are told not by your school then MP AND Union, there will be s lot of people asking them this question.