1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absences?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by NedTB31, Apr 13, 2018.

1. NedTB31

NedTB31 New commenter

Hi I’m wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I know that to pass the NQT year you need to have less than 30 days absent, but I also know that pregnancy related illness is not counted in the same way (or at least not supposed to be). Is this the same during the NQT year or does it all just count towards the 30 days, pregnancy related or not?

I recently suffered a miscarriage and am recovering from surgery but I’ve already had quite a few days off this year and don’t know if I can afford to take time off to recover if it may result in having to extend my placement. Obviously I need to take care of my health but I have to finish this year. If I have to do another term I probably won’t bother and the last two years will have been a waste. I don’t want that to happen, but I also don’t want to burst into tears in front of my classes either from pain or sadness by going in before I’m ready.

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I don't have an answer to your question. Your union might be the best people to ask about how it affects your NQT year.

You say you have to finish this year. Why is that? I understand it would be demoralising to extend your NQT year but if it means that you can put your health and wellbeing first, it could well be the best option. All the best xx

NedTB31, bonxie and phlogiston like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to hear of this. Doing an extra supervised term to get your nqt is probably not as traumatic as a miscarriage.
    If you really dislike the demands of the job so much that you can't face the extra term, you probably need another job anyway.

NedTB31 likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Are you entitled to maternity leave? It depends how far along you were, but maternity leave can apply just as much after a miscarriage.

It may mean a longer time off, then a longer time to finish your course, but after a longer rest, you may feel more able to carry on.

I don't think it is so much how many days you are absent, as much as how many days you are present, that counts, so the reason for the absence is irrelevant - its just presented as number of absences as that is easier to understand.

NedTB31 likes this.
  5. NedTB31

NedTB31 New commenter

Thanks for your responses.

No I’m not entitled to maternity leave as I was only in my first trimester and am on a one year contract anyway, which is part of the reason why I need to finish this year as if I had to extend my placement I may need to get a new job to finish for one term. While I might actually do well in a different school, my plan was to finish in July and then leave the country. I just needed to complete this year for my PGCE to count in Ireland as they require a certificate of induction. I’m fully aware that teaching in this country is not for me, so I really don’t want to spend any longer doing it than I have to.

I’ve been signed off work for a week so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get through 5 weeks until half term and then I’ll be in the last seven weeks.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

best wishes xx

NedTB31 likes this.
  7. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

All the best, let us know how it goes x

NedTB31 likes this.
  8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

So sorry to hear what has happened. Try contacting your LA NQT person, they will be able to let you know what you need to do.

NedTB31 likes this.