1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absence during Induction period - extenuating circumstances?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by James_Williams, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    The LA can shorten the induction year by up to 29 days in exceptional circumstances and provided you meet the induction standards in full. If your induction has to be shortened due to pregnancy then as the NQT you can choose to have the induction year shortened or to leave it open and completre the year on your return. The issue (I suspect) here is that the pregnancy clause usually applies if you have to leave on metrnity leave before the end of your induction, not if you have had odd days off or short periods off during the induction year. I would imagine that if all is well, there are no issues and you and the school are happy that you have met the stanadrds then the LA may well grant induction as complete and reduce the time by the 28 days. Ultimately it is their decision in this case I think.
    James