1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Absence due to children's school closing and pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JodiP, Mar 15, 2020.

1. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

My school is not very family friendly, to say the least and there doesn't ever seem to be any flexibility/reality on very much. We are allowed 5 days paid childcare a year - fair enough in normal circumstances. Where do we stand in the current climate? For example, my son's school has got two suspected cased and is shut for the next 7 days. I have already had 1 day and a half off last week where his school was shut for a deep clean. I am sharing childcare with another parent this week and only taking one day off. My worry is that if this continues for a significant period of time and we hit the five days of paid childcare will schools have to be flexible or is it just going to be a case of - tough

2. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Have you spoken to your Union at the Regional Centre ? Have you checked your Union web site to see whether it answers these questions. I would not work for a school that treats you like dirt. Suggest you to do not give good will and free time to such a work place. We assume you are in a union ? Perhaps all the teaching staff should not flexible in your school

3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think you are asking a question that potentially millions of parents will be facing very soon...
    I would have thought that childcare, even in these circumstances, is your responsibility. However, I think there's a high chance all schools may close soon anyway.
    I don't think it sounds like this school treats you like dirt at all - I actually think 5 ays paid childcare a year is pretty generous!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

LEAs have been advised that leave pertaining to genuine cases requiring self isolation, and or care of dependents because of knock on school closures, they will not be penalised. In all honesty, once nursery or younger school areas close, or vice versa it will be a no brainer in terms of feeder age sectors also following suit. I would imagine the decision being made based on projected staffing, and advice and government guidance on protocol.

5. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

I don't think it sounds like this school treats you like dirt at all - I actually think 5 ays paid childcare a year is pretty generous![/QUOTE]

I’m unsure what qualifies you to make this statement. You know nothing of my situation. The union are currently involved for work place bullying.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am afraid that many employers would not offer more than 5 days paid childcare a year, so it is relatively generous. Some won't offer as much as that, and there is no legal obligation to do so. See https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants . I am making no assumptions about your situation, just stating a reality.