1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abrupt ending.....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Sep 27, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I was on long term supply at the same place since January. Unfortunately last night the agency called to say I was no longer required. The official reason I was given was that the school were looking to save money. However I can't help but think that maybe I ruffled the wrong feathers somewhere along the line! The school management seemed to believe that persistent disruptors just needed a bit of tlc. My view was at odds with this and I was more an advocate of a good b*ll*cking. Next time I'll just keep reminding myself that I'm just a 'visitor' (as it said on the badge). Scouring the web now for warehouse/van driving jobs. Maybe it's time for a break from it.

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Sorry to hear this. I think it could well have been the money, though. You were presumably being paid to scale...

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. lovejoy_antiques

It wasn't a bad little earner while it lasted.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi love_joy antiques

Sorry to hear your news.

The school could have given you a bit more notice no matter their reasons but that is the way supply works.

Dealing with the misbehaviour is always an issue - for permanent and supply teachers. It seems teachers are always under scrutiny about how they handle the disruption.

I was always wary of saying the wrong thing, or appearing too harsh so I always was very, very reserved in what I said to students when correcting them and it was always stressful since whatever you say, the students can run back and say Mrs P said "x,y, z to me" and complain.

You could take a stop gap job in warehouse work or driving and then look into retraining for something else while you take a break from supply if that is what you decide.

5. lovejoy_antiques

Thanks. With a PGCE you can always dip in and out of it. Might be time to dip out for a while.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

By the sounds of it you did well to last so long there considering how disposable supply teachers are. Here today, gone tomorrow.
    Still it must have come as quite a shock, I hope you can find something else soon.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm inclined to agree with Deirds. Schools are always looking at their budget these days and realising they may have to pay you , presumably at the higher rate, till next March, when the new budgetary year kicks in may have influenced their decision. Or the person you were covering for may have decided for their own financial reason- sick pay drops to 50% after 6 months, that they simply have to try returning to work.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

That impersonal touch makes matters worse. Nobody at school says anything to you, then suddenly you get a email or call from your agency telling you not to go in to school the next morning.

9. lovejoy_antiques

A lot of people exist in the realms of a school. Lots of faces young and old you'll never see again. It's a weird feeling when it side swipes you out of the blue!

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sorry to hear this as well, at least you can take some consolation from the fact that you were earning the 'correct' rate over the difficult months of June, July and September (nearly). When it's happened to me I realised that I was more miffed over the teenage break-up whine "I wanted to chuck you first" than any real grievance.

As the above posters advise don't dwell on the reason, or even worse attempt to fathom the 'true' reason. A multitude of factors exist, most out of the control of the staff in the school, let alone you. I was once chucked via the agency and as I was still in the school went to the HoD to thank him for assistance etc. and was very amused to discover that he didn't know I wasn't turning up the next day. It transpired the Head had found someone else (in a pub? Old friend? Returning sickie? - I'll never know).

11. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

And remember the flip side, we are free to leave at the drop of a hat as well...finances permitting...

One very real advantage of Supply ..

bella2891, pepper5, ms honey and 4 others like this.
  12. lovejoy_antiques

When I left a supply placement for another job a couple of years back the agency tried to hold me to a six week notice period! I asked them to email me a copy of the contract I signed agreeing to this and then we'd have a conversation. That was the last I heard of it! Twice now on long term supply I've been finished with no notice. I'm slowly learning to make sure I finish on time every day, never ask for any help or support with behaviour and don't leave any personal possessions at the work place!

donrickles, pepper5, Mermaid7 and 5 others like this.
  13. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

agree with the rest but not this. My route is to assess how interested SLT are in addressing behaviour (are they on corridors, willing to address poor behaviour in their area, strong on following up on repeat offenders? Answer is nearly always no but if there is one then befriend him/her and definitely a source of help there). Also I befriend the Shouters with Radios and try and get them to call in at the start to help settle the awkward ones and always thank them for when they turn up to help me.

I can see your point that it's easier to shoot the messenger than address school-wide behaviour issues but should SLT have to drag themselves out of their nice office to address MR CAZORLA's poor behaviour management then I'm immediately doomed anyway.

Given that I receive high pay (£200+ per day via a UC) then really the only question that matters is
    "Is Mr Cazorla better than nobody?"
    And sometimes a nobody turns up:(

donrickles, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Please don't give it a second thought lovejoy antiques, unfortunately most teachers, supply or not, tend to put their hearts into their work and we often tend to blame or second guess ourselves, if things suddenly end. From my experience and observing/chatting to others on supply, it's simply the fact that schools see you as expendable, not you personally but every 'supply' as they call us, despite whatever 'value added' you may have contributed to their schools. Plus schools are insular groups of people who tolerate one another as 'buddies' as long as no one else challenges their little group dynamic. You can also be 'too good' at what you do and they won't like that either!

15. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

agathamorse, pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  16. lovejoy_antiques

Well it's been a week since my last long term supply post came to an abrupt ending. I've been waiting for the morning call from the agency. However all I've been offered so far is a half day here, or an afternoon there (the here and the there both being a good 40 minutes drive away). Needless to say I told the agency I am only up for full days.

I have been updated my CV on CV library and have had a lot of agencies calling however each one requires form filling, references, scanning DBs checks and all manor of faff. I have registered with 3 so don't really see the point in registering with more agencies as they are all chasing the same jobs in my area. To be honest some seem real fly by night outfits so I'm going to try and just stick with the local ones.

I have also been stepping up my hunt outside of teaching. I have registered with a non teaching agency looking for royal mail temps on the night shift. Money for this doesn't look too bad. I use a website called take home pay calculator to work out if the hourly rate covers my bottom line.

Although you can do ok on long term supply the down time through lack of work or school holidays means when you average it out you might be better in a non teaching job that pays less but is a regular wage. If I can pull in £1500 a month then I can cover the bills and live ok (relatively low mortgage & no kids). Surely with 2 degrees that level of pay outside of teaching should not be an unreasonable expectation!

I've also half heartedly applied for the only permanent teaching job on the tes in my subject area within a 25 mile radius. It would solve my problems financially but it would be going back into a world of observations, learning walks, stress and anxiety etc that has previously pushed me into the arena of the mentally unwell. I'm really not keen on going back there!

I've been job hunting with a real scatter gun approach, basically flicking through job aps and throwing my CV at anything even mildly relevant. I've also applied for a job on the local council website. I'm amazed how many things out there aren't actually jobs but fantastic opportunities to pay £500 you don't have for some b*llsh*t course with the carrot of an entry level position dangling at the end! It's amazing how many of these companies prey on desperate job seekers!

Hopefully things will pick up next week. I went into supply as a kind of half step out of teaching after 11 years at the same hell hole of a school. Maybe it's time to make the full step and just walk away completely.

17. lovejoy_antiques

Oh, forgot to add, any advice welcome!

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hello

I am also looking for a post outside of teaching so understand your situation.

It is early still in the term and you may well find supply picks up on the next couple of weeks.

What I have found is some jobs are getting many applicants so it is very,very competitive.

At least your outgoings are low and that is a massive blessing for you.

I dont blame you for not going back to a permanent post.

19. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Love joy, it's nice to know I'm not alone. Personally, I believe schools. Agencies or whoever should be held to account and pay at least half the weeks wages, if they've made the booking, they should be paying a cancellation fee if they've no notice nor reason.
    I was booked for the month of September, in July, god had watched me teach, said yes, you'll do fir the month, sorry its not longer, on a job share thing, 3 days for me, 2 to another. I was doing my bit, doing it well., using the school behaviour system while also giving out the credits as per the school system.... The other week, the school was out on trip, leaving the naughty kids behind. I had 3 hours of y 11 on thd collapsed time table, so imagine by y 11 not on a trip.... Given "work" a revision poster of course! So had a very difficult day, but I've had worse. Logged the events and non events. Perm member if staff didn't once pop over and offer a friendly face of support. I was exhausted fir thd weekend. Went in on the Monday, feeling a bit soul sucked... And the hod came and said she wanted to talk to me the end of the day... I said to her nows alright I'm not busy.... She goes, oh no end of thef day.
    End of the day came and she shut the door and goes to me thst it's nit working iut for them, there's been behaviour issues and parental complaints and out civer supervisor has, become available so there you go, thank yoj ever such a lot fir all your hard work and help in getting the term off to a string start for us, it's been really helpful. I can see how hard you've worked but that's it...
    Na ba na na na....
    So, it'll be money, but yeah, it will also be that you've been trying to sort out behaviour. It's a thing I've been noticing, they don't want the behaviour sorted, they don't want the work. They say log this and that but it's an ugly thing I've experienced in a permanent role. In logging thd incidents you draw, attention to yourself, give them reason to question your teaching, and belief that you're no good. Yeah, it's a ugly thing that's becoming the norm. This must be trickling from thd leadership trainibg, give the kids tlc... Hoe many times have you heard from the leadership "they're wonderful when they're on their own with me, a really lovely child you jyst need to get to know" well ***, *** ***... When is thd classroom teacher going to have these lovely on their own children? Never. These idiots in slt need to start getting real, the teacher in the classroom never has them on the ir own, so the in slt, when they get the in their own need to cut out the cuddles and biscuits **** when they get them and start in thd tough titty tough love routine.... Give them no attention anx be harsh, old school, sit there in my office, thersz your work, get in with it, I've got work to do (ha ha, they mustn't gave any work to do them if they've all the time for thd cuddles snc biscuits) do as your told, and I'll bring you down when yours ready to apologise to thd teacher and the class mates for your disruption to their lesson of learning. That's whst needs to bd dknd... "they're alright when they're on theirf own" absolute nonsense. These wirk shy slt wanna start doing a bit of work fof their inflatated wages. It's a bug bear of mine.
    One I can no longer be part of it,
    So like yourself love joy, I'm rolling right out of it. I d no intention if changing myself, my ways nor my high standards and expectations to fit into their "don't bother us, takd all the bother off the naughty kids on thd chin" and these schools are nit changing fir the better any time soon... Its been

20. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

A loads been cut out of the above. Some might rant there. How the hell do these heads get their hush money and gardening leave? Where do I go to lift the lid on this and get paid for it?

agathamorse likes this.