1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Above-inflation pay rise for almost 900,000 public sector workers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Jul 21, 2020.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I’m a pastoral support worker on a local authority pay scale, and we already got 2% in April.

Any idea what’s happening with us?

3. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Nothing outside of what’s in that article, sorry.

PeterQuint likes this.
  4. Cat343

Cat343 New commenter

I'm an NQT who started in January so have one term to go. Will I remain on MS1 or go upto MS2 in September.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Up to 3.1%. The higher scales were expected to be 2.5%.

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I think it’s an average of 3.1%, lower paid may get more, upper salaries less.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I suppose a headline of
    TAs to be made redundant to fund a 3.1% pay rise for teachers
    wouldn't go down too well would it?

Nor
    3.1% pay rise for some teachers in some schools

jellycowfish likes this.
  8. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Where is the money coming from?
    Can you reconcile these two statements please.

9. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

10. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

You will have to check your schools pay policy sadly I think you may find that yout stuck on M1 as you won't have passed your nqt by then which many consider the point to go onto M2 however do you have you got any performance management targets set.

You could end up really unlucky and end up on M1 until next September to start the next pm cycle depending on how the school interprets the rules. You could post this question on the pay and conditions for more info.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Cat343

Cat343 New commenter

I don't have any set but I was made the lead for my subject before we broke up. Other members of staff are delivering my SOWs. I guess I will have to see.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  12. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

I never thought I’d see the day when classroom teachers would be paid more than £50,000 a year!

13. sjns

sjns New commenter

What about in Wales?

14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Perhaps the gold plated toilet you were planning to have installed in your private bathroom will have to wait another year.

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You should have really.
    In fact it should have happened a lot sooner.

Top of the teacher pay spine in 1999 was £37041 + £2241 Inner London allowance. If that rose inline with inflation (average 2.8%) then it should be just of £68500 today. So teachers are earning less today than a teacher 20 years ago.

16. TheHeadteachersOffice

I think you well know that classroom teachers cannot and should not be paid £70,000.

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Technically it is possible to pay a teacher £70k, so can not is not true.

Should not be paid that ever? Even in 30 years time when £70k is the same as £30k now.

What needs capping is headteacher/executive head salaries. For example it can not be more that 200% of the average salary of teachers in the school

18. TheHeadteachersOffice

Headteachers are in very different roles to classroom teachers and have a much more diverse range of responsibilities from marketing to strategy. Ultimately a different skill set is required.

If anything, state schools should be increasing SMT salaries like free schools have done. I do actually agree that there should be flexibility to pay classroom teachers above the normal pay scale for the right individual.

Some of our class teachers who have joined us from other sectors are paid £60,000.

19. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

I think all managers should be sacked, and their bloated salaries distributed amongst the teaching staff. Replace the mangers with trained gibbons, who will do a more effective job.
    See, it's not very hard is it?

20. letap

letap Occasional commenter

If we use you as an example and how you come across when you post, I don't think idiotic trolling and running away from posters who question you, is a particular useful skillset in schools.