1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About to start a PGCE, got the chance to do a lesson/activity with Yr 6, should I? If so, any ideas?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon331, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I've got a place for a Primary PGCE this September but have to do a 2 week placement before I start, 1 week in KS1 and 1 week in KS2. I started it today at a local primary and really enjoyed it. I've been put in with Year 6 for this week. Obviously there's just under 2 weeks left of this term and then Year 6 leave so everything with them now really is just a bit of a time filler to keep them interested before they leave. The class teacher said to me after that if I want to do anything with them I'm quite welcome to, just let her know. I have to give them a form to fill in to send to the uni which basically evaluates my time there, my interaction with students and staff and just any general comments. So in a way, doing something, if it went well, would be good for that and also just good experience for me to get used to doing things in a UK classroom as the majority of my experience is in Thailand.

Do you think that I should try and do something with the class or am I just going to be a bit out of my depth? If you think I should, any ideas about the kind of things I could do? At the moment they're mainly working on a big art project and a DT project about structures.

All thoughts, advice and ideas greatly appreciated! :)

Caroline

2. Hi!
    Definitely!! Go for it!!! I teach Year 6! They will be fine as long as you keep them busy- an art activity would perhaps be a good idea this time of year. If their topic is structures maybe you could do a one off Art/DT challenge- using rolled up newspapers/sticky tape- they could work in groups to build bridges/towers. Doesn't require too much prep and once the task is explained you could just set them to work!! You could build in a bit of competition- prize for the best??!! The one that stands up well/holds the most weight etc. There are some ideas on the links below:
    http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/dt/newspape.htm
    http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/dt/buildingbridges.htm
    Hope this is of some help. I'm sure if you speak to the teacher she will help you out!!
    Good luck and hope the PGCE goes well.

3. I thought about the newspaper tower but they're already doing a big project that's going to use up an spare papers people have! I love the bridge building idea! Thanks :)