1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About to quit the classroom. Should I?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Canary21, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Canary21

Canary21 New commenter

Hi,
    I’m at the stage currently where I’m looking at alternatives to front line teaching. I’m wondering if anyone has ever worked for the Education Endowment Foundation and if so, what they thought of it.
    It seems a fantastic opportunity and one which really excites me but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this type of job. (Research projects and supporting schools/CPD)

Thanks.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No experience but if it excites you and the classroom doesn't... Well in the words of Shia LeBeouf... DO IT.

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

This is a choice only you can make.

But you have said it yourself. You have found something that excites you. If it would work for you then go for it.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There is plenty online about the EEF. It seems to spend a lot of money coming up with not-overly useful stuff, but if the money and work life is better, it might be a party worth joining; after all, the ‘teach the teachers how to teach’ industry is growing.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I've never had anything to do with the Education Endowment Foundation, but I did take a year off from the "chalkface" at the turn of the 1990s, when plenty of government funding accompanied the introduction of the National Curriculum. I immensely enjoyed my year out as deputy leader of a regional MFL project, which involved school visits, developing teaching resources, conducting research, exploring methodology and making presentations to teachers about the use of new technology. Above all, it provided a much-needed "sabbatical" of professional refreshmenet in mid-career, a chance to reflect and to contemplate the future.

That's the upside of my experience, but it's important to consider the downside too. As the year went on, pressure arose to complete the project and write up the findings before everything was wrapped up. The "temporary" nature of what had been a dream job grew more obvious and I began worrying about fitting back into the routine of school life again with exam results pressures and the new challenge for MFLers to address the needs of children with learning difficulties who had previously been withdrawn from MFL lessons. As it happened, my new knowledge and skills assisted greatly when I returned, but I also noted that the many educational projects of the early 1990s outside school vanished for want of funding over later years. Perhaps the most crucial blow to educational support agencies outside schools was the Cameronian "bonfire of the quangos" including BECTa and QCDA, both of which provided invaluable classroom support methodology and resources. I still regret the demise of BECTa in particular, which did sterling work in the field of educational technology, notably when addressing the difficulties of students with additional needs. Many current problems are attributable to the government focusing totally on exam standards without providing the resources, methods, advice and support for teachers to meet the academic challenges.

I don't want to conclude on a negative note. If the EEF is continuing operations in the areas where BECTa and QCDA once operated, the organisation is doing really good work. I just have a niggle in my mind that when the government is short of cash for education, it will spend what it has on the front line and skimp on what it regards as "back-office expenses". If the EEF is separate from government and not overdependent on public funds, I am sure it will benefit teachers and learners in schools and I hope there will always be the money to fund their staff and the great work they do. Just make sure that if and when you leap out of the classroom for pastures new, both your mind and your heart are with you.:)