1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

about to introduce Keyworker system !!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hovis, Jan 8, 2012.

1. As a very hardworking TA , I am a little worried that as this system is introduced to our Recp setting, I am going to be working even harder !! I will be expected to be a Keyworker/person ?? for 9 children and have been told that I will have to ensure that activities , obs, etc are done with these 9 children and that I should work towards the target set by teachers who will then sign the child off once they have achieved their target and will then be set a new target. My CONCERN is that I will somehow end up being RESPONSIBLE for the way in which the target is achieved eg letter formation, recognising numbers, ordering numbers etc is this sort of thing not outside my remit as a Ta who has been told through local authority single status is level 2, how will I check that the implimentation of this system is not altering my job description and moreover that I am a cheaper alternative than a teacher. If you have a system running in your setting could you please explain how Ta's are used, and to what level the responsibility falls on them. I am worried and will be speaking to the head this week about it as I feel it is above and beyond what is stated in my contract, I already have to attend planning meeting for which i am not paid and am starting to feel that as the lowest paid member of staff I am being co hersed into taking on far more than I should or indeed am being paid for. many thanks

2. The nursery class I worked in, as a teacher, until recently, worked with a key worker system with each member of staff (1 teacher, 2 TAs) having their own group. The way this worked involved the key worker taking the register and having a small group get together at the beginning of the session, sitting with their group at snack time and, at the beginning of the year, doing story, song, or short maths activity after snack. Later the children were put into ability groups and still worked in groups but obviously not necessarily with their own key worker. The idea of the key worker was that the child and their parents had a named person who they were encouraged to bond with and feel secure with. It didn't always work. Some parents always wanted to talk to the teacher, and wanted their child to be in e teacher's key group, some children had preferences for particular adults, which we did try to cater for as much as possible. We did not allocate key groups until all the children were in and we had a short key worker meeting with parents at that point. As regards observations and focus activities, it would have been very difficult to ensure that key workers only 'covered' their own children. It would have meant that everything had to be organised down to the last second with no flexibility for all that unpredictable stuff that happens in nursery/ reception. I think it would be inconvenient and divisive if workers were expected to only tell off 'their own' children, for instance, and you could conceivably get this situation if you apply key worker responsibilities too rigorously. This is even more true when it comes to observations and recording assessments. Things that are worth noting can happen at any time, even when the key worker is in the loo! We all used to share noting observations, then stick them on the correct photo in the child's key group area.problems do arise because of TA's hours and pay. We used to discuss planning on one day a week at lunchtime and then I wrote it up and organised the week - not ideal. I did not really think that TAs (or myself) should be working at lunchtime. However they wanted to be involved in planning and I wanted their involvement. The biggest problem was the learning journey books. In theory we were supposed to keep these up for our own key group children, but the TAs were not given any dedicated time to do this, originally. I managed to get some time for them as the year went on, but it was always a struggle and in the end I did help them when I got the chance in my PPA time. Hope this helps.

3. thanks for reply , if it was to work like that then i would be happy, unfortunately in our setting I have grave doubts,

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi Hovis, I d hope you manage to discuss this with your class teacher or line manager to get clarity on what is expected of you.
    I always worked in schools where the TAs had key person resposibility, its not really 'new' except we called them family groups but in essence they were the same thing. The key person did the home visit, supported settling in and carried out activities for their group as well as snack and story times. We met weekly to plan , and I would write up all the planning and when I could I would release them to complete assessments or learning diaries. I never asked anyone to take work home, although some TAs I worked with over the years chose to.
    The only year I couldnt work this wy was when my Head saw fit to give me 4 different TAs across the week.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have groups for register and for some mixed ability activities, but we move them round between the staff every few weeks. This allows all the staff to know all the children and means that there is natural "moderation" built into assessments. I wouldn't dream of asking my TA to update assessments on her own or take work home - she does enough extra time in the classroom as it is. We both do observations and we work very losely together and update the cohort eprofile together.

6. I don't object to a key worker system in theory, but I do feel in a school Nursery/Reception class every child's key worker should be the class teacher.
    We spend a long time on transition and children meet all staff several times. We then allow children/parents to establish and develop their own arrival routines (which may or may not include going to the same adult on separation)
    We run small groups where children work for a PSED related focus in the same group each day, so developing friendships etc.
    Children regularly work with all adults and have good relationships. All adults make assessments and feed into learning journals but as class teacher I am repsonsible and accountable for progress and attainment of each child.
    But if every child must have a key worker, are we meeting the requirements? Can it be the class teacher?

7. we seem to have hit the ground running this keyworker idea is nothing to do with PSED but everything about Ta's working 1:1 with children on targets set by teachers eg recognises number 1-20 or can order 1-20 , we have 2 maths targets and 3 literacy targets which Ta's have to work on with the groups of children currently i have 9 and the teachers have 4. We still have to do directed activies, guided reading and plenty more it just seems that in our setting the ones who get paid by the hour and term time only are having a lot more to do ??

8. This does seem a bit of a distortion of the key worker idea, which is mainly about pastoral care. It is unclear if all your 'keyworker' activities are 1:1. This seems even less like key work and more about individual learning support. Necessary as that might be I think your managers have got the terminology wrong. When you say that the teachers have fewer children in their groups, is this because they will have other responsibilities while you do 1:1 work? That sounds reasonable to me. I expect they will also do the planning and decide on the targets which the TAs wil follow and assess. If this all happens within your contracted hours I do not see the problem. If you find your duties lead to you having to do stuff outside your hours you need to let senior staff know so that they can find a solution.

9. thanks thumbie for your reply, we as Ta's have to attend a planning meeting after school and are asked for ideas for the planning, then the teachers have the ppa time later on in the week and write it in the timetable, I already teach music, take dance lessons, do guided reading, direct focus tasks,and now have 9 children to work with 1:1 on 6 targets a week sometimes i feel that i am worth more than the wage I get for the amount I do and yet i find more jobs heading my way , I am just interested to find out what teachers in other setting expect and ask of their Ta's really , you always think your hard done to but don't really know unless you ask others.