1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About to have a break down. Don't think I am going to make it.....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBarker85, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am currently a PPA and job share teacher in a junior school near London.
    I am really struggling with behaviour!!!! I have been in the school since September and have always had a few issues with some of the classes (the one I jobshare with - year 3 - I have no problems with.)

I usually only have each class for PPA for half a day a week or sometimes a full day every other week. However, due to some unexpected illness from a member of staff, I am in a y4/5 class possibly until the end of term. Today was the 1st day I covered this sickness, and, quite frankly, I am dreading returning tomorrow.

Things that happened today -
    "Miss, did you get those glasses from poundland?"
    CONSTANT talking when I am.
    "How come he gets to sit there? I am telling headteacher you don't treat us all fairly"
    "You aren't really teaching us are you? You need help with your teaching"
    Throwing things around the room
    Name calling/upsetting each other
    Hurting each other.

I literally feel at the end of my tether. Despite feeling bad for my colleague who is off sick, I was looking forward to spending time with this class and have lots of nice things planned. However, today resulted in copying out work off the whiteboard all afternoon (I tried for silence but just didnt work)

I know I probably shouldnt punish them with this kind of work but why should I let them do nice activities and group work if they just cannot behave?

I am desperate for advice
    Thanks
    Em
    xx

2. Hi there,

I am currently a PPA and job share teacher in a junior school near London.
    I am really struggling with behaviour!!!! I have been in the school since September and have always had a few issues with some of the classes (the one I jobshare with - year 3 - I have no problems with.)

I usually only have each class for PPA for half a day a week or sometimes a full day every other week. However, due to some unexpected illness from a member of staff, I am in a y4/5 class possibly until the end of term. Today was the 1st day I covered this sickness, and, quite frankly, I am dreading returning tomorrow.

Things that happened today -
    "Miss, did you get those glasses from poundland?"
    CONSTANT talking when I am.
    "How come he gets to sit there? I am telling headteacher you don't treat us all fairly"
    "You aren't really teaching us are you? You need help with your teaching"
    Throwing things around the room
    Name calling/upsetting each other
    Hurting each other.

I literally feel at the end of my tether. Despite feeling bad for my colleague who is off sick, I was looking forward to spending time with this class and have lots of nice things planned. However, today resulted in copying out work off the whiteboard all afternoon (I tried for silence but just didnt work)

I know I probably shouldnt punish them with this kind of work but why should I let them do nice activities and group work if they just cannot behave?

I am desperate for advice
    Thanks
    Em
    xx

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Bless you. You shouldn't have to go through this alone. At times lots of us have struggled with behaviour and once they sniff weakness children are very quick to capitalise. You need to ask your HT for help, or at least the member of the SLT you have the best relationship with. There are courses on bahaviour management - often some quite simple techniques can be really effective. Have you read "Getting the *** to Behave". for example?

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Sorry the TES blanked out my word. It rhymes with Muggers and is spelt a bit like Burgers...

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

And post this on the Behaviour Forum too. Lots of practical advice on there.

6. Thanks for the quick reply :)

I worry that the HT thinks I am completely useless!

Yes I have that book, as well as 'there's no need to shout' and I have read them and use as many techniques as I can. My main problem is getting them to listen!! I try counting down, hand in the air, clapping, tambourine, whistle... nothing works. I think you are completely right about the children sensing weakness - I try to be as firm as I can.. today I definitely ranted and shouted too much.. hoping for a quieter approach tomorrow. Today I didnt have a break as I had kids in at break and lunchtime.
    Just so fed up... and it is only Monday!!!!

Em x x

7. Thanks Rosie. Just posted it.

Em xx

8. Well done for keeping them in and making them knuckle down rather than letting them get away with things today. Is there usual teacher off sick because of their behaviour? Had things been getting a bit lax before? Sounds like they don't know what has hit them, because you're being consistent in expecting decent behaviour from them, and they are pushing you to see if they can get away with it. Stick to your guns. Maybe tell them first thing tomorrow that you are looking out for people who listen straight away, and that their names will go on the board and they will get out to break first. Those who don't listen straight away may well miss the whole of break again. And stick to it.
    You can do it!
    And take yourself some chocolate for lunchtime.

9. Thanks dillsage! :) Definitely taking some chocolate in tomorrow!!! No, usual teacher is very good with them - she doesn't have to do much, except walk into the room to get their respect! They don't react well to people who are not their usual teacher.
    That is a good plan, thanks,I will try that tomorrow - focusing more on the positives. I make a positive list on post its for people who will go out on time, but I end up getting so frustrated with the ones misbehaving I end up making a bad list that are going to miss playtime. Just really need to be more positive!!!! It is hard when they really start to test you though!!
    Thanks so much for replies!
    Em xx

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Would your headteacher not come and deal with the children for that type of behaviour?

11. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

I would suggest making those lists "good and bad" and make it clear it is their decision what list they get onto. Althought obviously list it differently perhaps as "reward and sanction" to make it clear that their behaviour is linked to what happens to them...
    Then your last session do one of you planned fun activities. The ones on the list who have behaved well can join in those who havent can sit and do independent book work.
    Do you have a TA/SLT/HT that would support you for what's likely to be a 45 minute activity and play the part of frowning dissapointed person?
    I've done that before.
    I'm also partially fond to saying if you don't want to participate I'm not going to waste other peoples time to learn dicsussing this with you and instruct children to ignore them... then they do the activitiy in the afternoon while we do something "fun".

12. Getting the majority to listen when you ask them, as fast as you can, will go a long way to help you feel in control, so that's what I'd focus the most praise and reward on at least up until the first break. If they won't stop and listen, you can't really do anything with them, so it is the most important learning intention for tomorrow!
    And pretending to them that you are totally relaxed and chilled and not in the least bit worried if they want to waste their breaktime. Though it is tough missing your break - but it should pay off soon.
    Is there another member of staff that you get on well with who you could refer any persistent trouble-makers to, perhaps for 5 minutes time-out, as the head seems so unsupportive? I'd try to ignore the personal remarks though, inappropriate as they are - if they think you're annoyed/upset by them, they're more likely to try again, but if you can act as though you didn't even notice them, they'll stop bothering making them.
    I shall think of you at break tomorrow, fingers crossed.

13. Identify and deal with the ringleaders and the rest will soon fall in line. Easier said than done though.