1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About to fail second placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by caughtupinachaosofbooks, May 12, 2019.

1. caughtupinachaosofbooks

caughtupinachaosofbooks New commenter

Hi,

I'm on my second and final placement. I was supposed to be finishing placement officially in a few weeks time but because the hours of my teaching timetable were not being built up regardless of telling them quite a few times, my university asked for an extended placement - which has been granted. However, I have been struggling at this placement, it's been difficult getting used to it and now I feel as though I have somewhat settled in for most of the lessons I teach. The issue is that I was put on a cause for concern as my first observation with my university tutor was a fail.

My second observation was right after the half term and I wasn't ready for it at all and a bit annoyed with the fact that my placement would be extended for a reason I'm not to be blamed for. Anyways, that observation didn't go as well as expected! I would blame myself for that obviously, so I've been put on an action plan and on the verge of failing placement. I do not want to fail and do not wish to re-do placement in September.

My first placement went really well overall. Here, I have been struggling to control some classes at this school, whereas at my first placement I was able to do so effectively. I was told I had a really strong classroom presence and had a good level of strictness, however, at this school I have been struggling to establish my presence. Finally, the one thing has been commented about is my voice. One of my targets in my action plan is not to talk in a monotone voice. When I listen to my own voice whilst I'm speaking it sounds normal, but I can feel as though my voice is passing through my nose.

Also, although it might sound silly I have been reading about the symptoms of PCOS/Hirsutism as I have been noticing many of the majority of symptoms (over the past few years) which include: thick hair growth, oily skin, acne, irregular periods, weight gain, hair loss and 'deep voice' etc. You can check it out here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/ & https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hirsutism/ I am planning to go to the doctors soon.

In regards to my voice, I'm thinking of mentioning this to my university tutor, but I'm not too sure about it! It's not like I always speak monotone, when I'm with my friends/really excited I sound fine! Then, when I switch back to normal mode, even at home when I'm talking to my parents I sound awful. So, I'm not sure if it would be worth mentioning and what the consequences could be as a result of this? Any advice for the voice bit? Although I am least concerned about how I sound when I teach, my university tutor has made a big deal out of it.

I don't want to be failing my placement - that too right at the end of it.

2. hlcook89

hlcook89 New commenter

If you're planning on mentioning something about your voice to your university tutor I would ensure you have something from the doctors to corroborate things, as if they've already made a big deal out it they may dismiss you without the proof.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I think you need to get to the heart of the issues.

Medical things need medical evidence, however voice control is part of teaching. I have to admit that a sudden medical claim in the face of a concern on progress does seem a bit convenient.

In terms of the teaching timetable, most providers talk about increasing the timetable led by trainee competence. If a trainee is struggling in their placement and the school continue to increase timetables then you can bet your bottom dollar the complaint will be 'but i couldn't improve my teaching because I'm too stressed / don't have enough time'. Trust me, I've been there and there is no end of deflection that can be done if and when concerns on progress are raised.

To put it kindly, if a trainee is at a point where there are action plans and concerns in place, that's usually because multiple people have concerns about the trainee's progress. An extended placement for a trainee who is struggling is absolutely a reasonable response because it gives them more opportunity to hit the required standard.

Your best bet is to work with your uni tutors and school mentors to address your targets through an extended placement. Good luck.

pepper5 likes this.