1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About time the Gov changed this

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cinderella1, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I really think that it is about time state nursery education became available for all children once they turn 3.
    Thinking about how the easter dates affected children starting School nursery classes the term after they are three made me question this. This year Easter is very early so all those with birthdays in later April will not now start until September, missing a whole term due to the way Easter changes.. this religious celebration affects all children in England regardless of their religious beliefs.. ridiculous.
    Many School nursery classes now that funding has been changed, and due to flexi time issues and children now all starting reception classes in September as well as other issues are closing due to lack of numbers.. a GREAT shame especially as all research clearly shows that those children with access to a qualified teacher in high class settings do better than other children without this access. (EPPE)
    Therefore if childrne were able to start free education the day there 3 then many would attend School nurseries and this woud solve the numbers problem and be highly beneficial to the child and their parents and carers. It would also be great for supporting those children with SEN and those with speech and language delays.
    What do others think?

2. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

I am presuming I am wrong in this .... however I thought that children had to be 3 before April 30th rather than Easter accounting for the fact that Easter fluctuates so much??

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I thought children were entitled to a certain free number of hours (in any sector) from the term following their third birthday, and the term was defined as ending on 30 April, 30 August, 31 December. Or has this changed?
    The way your school nursery class allocates places is one thing, what the government says each child is entitled to is another? Not every school has a nursery class at all.