1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

About the toast sandwich

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Nov 18, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The BBC have been running several articles this week about Mrs Beeton's recipe for the toast sandwich which she felt is the cheapest meal of all to cook. According to her, it's a couple od slices of buttered bread outside a slice of toast sprinkled with salt and pepper.
    When I considered this dish, I took into account the fact that Mrs Beeton never enjoyed the benefit of an electric toaster or grill so it started to become interesting. The toast she'd have been talking about was real toast, cooked on an open fire, so now I can begin to see the virtue. Except I'd have 3 slices of butterd and seasonded proper toast for the same money if it was down to me.

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I made myself a toast sandwich yesterday after reading the article. It was quite tasty, but I found the whole sandwich was a bit too much. And used cr*ppy toaster toast, rather than fire toast :)

3. And don't forget the bread would not have been presliced

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It woul be even tastier if instead of butter, I could have my toast spread with dripping instead of butter.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We have a fire in both our sitting rooms so we sometimes do indulge in a slice of proper bread toasted from one of these fires with lots of salted butter or dripping on a Sunday evening. Bliss.