1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abort Jesus lesson...

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Northernlady, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi, I had (once upon a time) a thought provoking exercise which gave 4 different scenarios and then asked the pupils to decide if the unborn child should be aborted. They spent much time discussing and so on....at the end of the lesson I revealed that each scenario was someone who had led an impressive life. My question is - does anyone have the other three scenarios I would have been using as I've lost them - one scenario was an unmarried woman who knew her betrothed was not the father, approximately 12-14 years old - she was the mother of Jesus. I'd be really grateful if someone could remind me who the people and scenarios are. Many thanks.

2. What about father has syphilis , mother has tuberculous, 4 children already born, but with termanal illness, mother is pregnant with 5th - Beethovan

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

This is interesting, dramatic and emotive - but I feel it is not really relevant. Any pregnancy may result in a child who does great things or a child who is severely disabled and can't 'do' anything much. Does that make one child more valuable than another?

If someone is pregnant then they, and those who are close to her, the partner and their families - have an important decision to make. This is one which will change their lives irrevocably. It is not a game of speculation. I don't think it is particularly helpful or relevant to consider what sort of character it might have. I think this kind of exercise may just 'muddy the waters.'

4. I agree with Durgamata on this. It just seems a very clumsy way to approach the subject. Obviously the idea is to break stereotypes but by presenting these scenarios, you are encouraging a ranking view of human life.

5. Actually I agree. If you search the web you will find the 4 scenarios mentioned above (I just remember hearing about Beethoven, but Google should be your friend). One problem with them is that they are inaccurate (we don't know how old Mary was, and I think the Beethoven info is dubious), the other is that they are all from the pro-life lobby.

I was told at 20 weeks pregnant that there was no chance I would end up with a live baby. At the time a lot of my friends told me they would have terminated the pregnancy. She is now 18 and about to go to college. Having the choice was important though.

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

It would be possible, I am sure, to find examples of people who considered abortion for one reason or another, went ahead with their pregnancy - and had a child who was severely handicapped or who went on to murder someone. Does that mean their child should have been aborted - or that it would not have mattered so much if it had died. I think this whole idea of comparing the value of one child against another is dangerous and muddies the waters regarding the abortion issue. It is abhorrent to me.

7. It also takes the examples out of their cultural context. Mothers used to be much younger, people used to have more children, disease was more common and less curable. Students don't know all of that when presented with those sorts of scenarios and will probably latch on to factors which would be an issue now but weren't then.
    Abortion is such an intensely personal topic and I can't help but think doing this sort of activity is highly unbalanced and doesn't really add to their learning. It guides them into thinking in a particular way.