1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abomination- Robert Swindells

Discussion in 'English' started by goonergirl2009, Apr 12, 2012.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Morning!
    Does anyone have any resources on this novel that they would be willing to share with me?
    Thanks in advance!

2. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

I taught this to my middle ability Y8 earlier this year and they LOVED it; they came in every lesson begging to read on and it has got some of my most disaffected desperate to read.
    In this sense, I didn't really need a SOW because they just wanted to read and discuss the issues.
    Some things we did were: love letters between Scott and Martha, diaries for Martha's sister, lots of debate over the way martha's parents acted (we're a catholic school and the religion issue grabbed them), whether Scott's mother should get involved or not, character maps, bullying posters, agony aunt letters and reply after M tells S her secret. The unit assessment was an essay exploring how and why M changes over the course of the novel because using PEE is our primary objective.
    It's a dream to teach, just let them enjoy it!