1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abolishing the 11-plus.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mathsteach2, Jun 8, 2019.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I don't think that this is helped by SMs calling themselves Comprehensives. If you are in an area with grammar schools, the other schools aren't Comprehensives, they are Secondary Moderns. Funnily enough, people don't like it when I point that out.

num3bers likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You are quite correct - for us child 1 -went to single sex grammar, child 2 didn't want to go to a single sex school, so went to the much larger mixed 'comprehensive'... As it happens both went to Russell group Unis & came out with 1st Class degrees.. :D

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yet another piece of anecdotal evidence that home life, culture and parental expectation have a much larger impact on life chances than schools. Another inconvenient fact that people don't like when I bring it up.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I agree..though there is one other point - child 1 did Sciences at school & University (& now as a career), child 2 did arts/social sciences. I'm not sure the 'comprehensive' had the quality Science staff to get child 1 to the level he was... But we'll never know for sure!

5. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I dont think there is much doubt that the outcomes are dictated more by home and background . Mine certainly was. It isnt about outcomes though. Its about the actual experience at school ( and that covers a broad spectrum of issues) and in education. Thats why I want my own kids to go to the grammar school or an independent. The point is missed if you just look at outcomes.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yet our schools are almost entirely judged on outcomes.

7. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Exactly, but it misses a great deal . School isnt just outcomes, it is the experience as well. We seem unable and unwilling to acknowledge that . I work in a small fry independent school. Many of the parents send their children to my school citing the issues with their children failing to thrive or not being happy with the experience at other schools ( usually state schools).

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My very ordinary comprehensive was great. And my sons' was very similar. Expectationsw high but not ridiculous. Loads of extra-curricular activities and masses of music. Schools are not bad or good because they're grammars or comprehensives. I think selecting children out at eleven is cruel and unnecessary. Overall children do better in a comprehensive system.

chelsea2 likes this.