1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abolish Ofsted

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by cods, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cods

cods New commenter

2. And then who would investigate the **** schools?

3. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

It would take time but as we replace the modern authoritative, suppressed and no-backbone teachers of now (the ones who accepted and allowed Ofsted and the nonsense workloads of toay), we could then slowly hand schools back to talented and different thinking head teachers and staff - adults who can think for themselves and who are grown up enough to know when something is not working and do something about it.
    Simply, employ the best man or woman for the job - not as now, the best man or woman to be a patsy.

4. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

But what makes for a **** school - one in an inner city with transient population etc who do not get 100% A*-C. After all most "top" schools in terms of performance start with bright pupils and end up with bright pupils and yet are rarely "****" why is this I wonder? (though not all I hasten to add as I have worked in tough innner city schools and still been good or outsnading).
    Ofsted need to change their framework so that "selective" schools are not always outstanding or good just because they have the money/small group sizes to gain examination "success"

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

it's very naive to buy the propaganda that OfSTED is about that. It exists as a tool of governemnt policy - each successive administration has to be seen to be 'doing something' about education: get into power, use OfSTED to find '****' schools all over the place, flurry of activity, spending/wasting of money and wasting of schools' time, OfSTED starts to find schools are improving in time for next election. It's a well established pattern.

6. Scrap league tables while you're at it. Nothing distorts a system more than its being judged on arbitrary benchmarks that change depending on what the government of the time feel the need to prove.

If you see overpopulation as the number one threat to the environment, Stalin, Mao and Hitler become 20th century heroes of the eco movement.

7. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

If all of the millions / billions that was wasted by ofsted and the TTA had actually been ploughed into extra teachers and reduced class sizes then there wouldn't be a need for it in the first place.

Petition needs a long way to go though...

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

hand them back? When was that ever the case? Anyway the issue is there are not enough of them, never were, and I doubt that people like that would make so much fuss about standards or inspections anyway.